• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Exhaust Manifold

Pob

Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing my exhaust on my 88 1.9, it has a Mongoose Stainless fitted at the moment but I don't really like the look of it, the back box is on the large size and I think its the cause of the knocking.

Tbh, I'm not fussed if it sounds meaty, I've read on Puma racing that the best exhaust to go for is the Standard exhaust from Peugeot, Is this the case? What about Non-Peugeot Standard exhausts?

Many Thanks,

Dan

danpug

On a standard engine the original exhaust is apparently the best one. Non pug exhausts probably aren't too bad but some of them can be a bit boomy at certain revs, like mine :unsure:

Pob
On a standard engine the original exhaust is apparently the best one. Non pug exhausts probably aren't too bad but some of them can be a bit boomy at certain revs, like mine :ph34r:

Thanks for the reply, I haven't got a clue why I called the topic Exhaust Manifold, must have it on the brain lol. Its had a bit of head work and a high lift cam, when does the standard exhaust not become suitable? I assume it will have the same internal diameter as the mongoose fitted at the mo.

Any ideas of what sort of price the Genuine Peugeot Middle section and back box would be?

Oh and if any mod would like to change the name of this topic... feel free :unsure:

Thanks,

Dan

danpug

I suspect a standard exhaust would be fine for you, a standard exhaust dosen't seem to affect an mi16 so will be ok in your case. Wouldn't like to say what a genuine exhaust would cost, there were threads on here in the past with the price. They ain't cheap iirc but outlive copies.

Edited by danpug

brianthemagical

you just need to go to a motor factors and ask for bosal, check the quality abd that the downpipe is split. mine were about £100 plus vat for the pair i think, from CES.

DamirGTI

Hello !

I have an "ArvinMeritor" exhaust pipework on my GTi - very good rust protection , nice strong welds , good design just like the OE product ... and all for very reasonable price :ph34r: ... for me much better aftermarket exhaust brand than Walker or Bosal ...

(me thinks that it's your UK brand or US I'm not sure :unsure:)

Cheers ! :)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

Pob
you just need to go to a motor factors and ask for bosal, check the quality abd that the downpipe is split. mine were about £100 plus vat for the pair i think, from CES.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, The downpipe is a standard part on mine so I'll just need the middle section and back box... With 'performance' downpipe/cat back systems, what is the advantages over a standard system? As far as I can work out.. nothing other than the noise aspect.

Thanks,

Dan

Longfield
Non pug exhausts probably aren't too bad but some of them can be a bit boomy at certain revs, like mine :unsure:

Just to add a thought onto what you've said above... A boomy exhaust at certain revs could also mean that your engine needs a tune. In my personal experience this was certainly the case. My original 1.9 had a magnex system exhaust that got really boomy around 3800-4000rpm... then i had the vehicle serviced properly and the boomyness [is that a word?!] went. Just a thought.

boombang

www.buypartsby.co.uk do Arvin exhausts and they are very good pattern of original.

Currently have one sat in the garage!

DamirGTI
Just to add a thought onto what you've said above... A boomy exhaust at certain revs could also mean that your engine needs a tune. In my personal experience this was certainly the case. My original 1.9 had a magnex system exhaust that got really boomy around 3800-4000rpm... then i had the vehicle serviced properly and the boomyness [is that a word?!] went. Just a thought.

Hello !

Lean air/fuel mixture most likely :huh: I've also had this a few times when i was adjusting ignition timing and fueling , been doing various tests and every time when i adjust the fuel mixture down on the lean side there was popping and banging from the exhaust (especially on over-run..) - adjusting/rich-up the fuel mixture a bit from this point and popping disappears..

Damir :)

Sign in to follow this