• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

[rally_prep] 205 1.6 Gti Rally Car Build

stuart

Well I thought it's about time I started a project thread, having began my 1600 Gti track/rally car build about 2 1/2 years ago now :blush:

It's been on and off since then for various reasons but in the last couple of months it's really starting to come together now the shell has been painted :) so I expect that now this is where all the trouble starts... :huh:

First a bit of history of the build:

Bought the car in June 2005, a couple of months after selling my old 205 xs, which some of you may recognise from FCS in 2004 / 2006 (bought it back again for a bit of fun in 2006 but didn't really go to plan…lost brakes on track and driveshaft went on way home B) )

10_0225.jpg

The rally car is a 1991 H reg car with 77k on the clock, which I paid just £250 for. It already had a few mods such as K&N filter, lowered 1.9 rear beam, 1.9 alloys, new rad, battery etc so was worth it for those alone.

I have no pics of when the car was still in 1 piece but to say it had a black / gold theme going on is a total understatement! Lol.

It had gold wheels, gold grille, gold boot panel, gold 3/4 badges, gold wipers, gold pinstrips, gold arch inserts, a cut down 309 front bumper just about holding together, various red exterior LED's and a max power tailpipe trim.

It really was a joke to look at but knew it was the ideal base for a project as running gear and shell seemed to be in decent condition and it ran fine which is the main thing.

This is the 1st pic I have of it:

IMG_0007.jpg

The original idea was to de-gold it and generally tidy up the bodywork as it'd had a recent respray, albeit a bit of a ropey one in places… but sometime between then and now I got a bit carried away! :excl:

The spec as the car stands is something like this:

Fully seam welded non-sunroof shell with box section seat mounts, strengthened strut tops and OMP 10 point cage immaculately painted in brilliant white ICI turbo 2 pack.

Seam welded front subframe, new polybushed wishbones, new droplinks, polybush arb bushes

New spax adjustable dampers all round and front lowering springs (were v.cheap)

Group N top mounts with new bearings

1.9 hubs with new bearings

307 HDI 290mm front discs / calipers, standard 1.9 rear setup

Baker group N engine mountings

Baker solid rear beam mountings

Polybush rear bump stops

DSC01453-1.jpg

DSC01452-1.jpg

Also on the shelf waiting to go on I have:

Goodridge braided brake hoses

Vertical type hydraulic handbrake and bias valve

Copper brake lines to be run internally

2 x Corbeau Sprint buckets

2 x TRS 6 point harnesses

Navigators foot rest

Suede OMP wheel

Sparco carbon pedals

Carbon gear knob

2.25L plumb-in extinguisher

Internal battery cut-offs and fire extinguisher pulls

Battery box to go in boot

New 1.9 driveshafts

Aluminium gear rod kit

Magnex stainless system / 4-1 Manifold

Green cotton air filter to replace old k&n

Adjustable strut brace

The list goes on further...

As you can see, I still have plenty to keep me busy over the winter to get the car ready for next season's rallying! :lol:

Next job is to fit the engine, which should hopefully be happening sometime this weekend so long as I finish cleaning it up to the standard of the rest of the car.

So hopefully with this thread, any problems I have building the car back up can be sorted more easily. I'm sure I'll need help at some point, as will have forgotten where various bits go since removing them ;)

Hope you like my car and thanks in advance from anyone helping me remember how to put my car back together! :lol:

Cheers

Stu

Edited by stuart

philfingers

Looks good Stu.

The 205 challenge forum and Britishrally too are both worth a visit for info etc

Phil

stuart

Right, so engine is almost ready for refitting but when I was de-greasing it I noticed that the breather pipes were looking fairly gummed up and some look a bit charred (or perhaps just perished?) inside. Could this indicate that the valve stem seals or piston rings need changing? The car only has 78k on the clock, although I don't know how accurate this is...

The breather hoses are all quite perrished and one actually broke in my hands when I was removing it so was wondering where replacements can be had from?

I know that Baker's sell the main breather hose but what about the others? Can you still get the original rubber ones from peugeot?

Cheers

Stuart

danpug

Looking very tasty so far. I think i bought your 40's you used on your xs??

Edited by danpug

SamGTi

Yeah I think you can get most/all breather hoses from Peugeot but if you can't then places like Autofive will sell them I presume (or just go to a local motor factors and buy some universal hose of the correct diameter). As for help from forum members putting things together, there are plenty of members here in the north west that I am sure will offer help and advice putting things back together whenever you need it!

stuart
Looking very tasty so far. I think i bought your 40's you used on your xs??

I seem to remember I sold them to someone called Dan so probably was you ^_^

Did you ever get them set up on your car? I know they sounded awesome on mine but the engine was too standard for them I think.

By the way, engine is still not in yet :lol:

I'm going a bit overboard with the cleaning and need to get all the pipes sorted first so maybe something will start to happen over the xmas break, maybe :D

GLPoomobile
I have no pics of when the car was still in 1 piece but to say it had a black / gold theme going on is a total understatement! Lol.

It had gold wheels, gold grille, gold boot panel, gold 3/4 badges, gold wipers, gold pinstrips, gold arch inserts, a cut down 309 front bumper just about holding together, various red exterior LED's and a max power tailpipe trim.

It really was a joke to look at but knew it was the ideal base for a project as running gear and shell seemed to be in decent condition and it ran fine which is the main thing.

Oh dear God ^_^:D

The original idea was to de-gold it
^_^

Thank you sir. Thank you for taking the time to save a raped 205. The previous owner should have been strung up by the testicles and whipped for a month :lol:

ashley peddle

in regards to the pipes - i once priced up a whole set from peugeot and it cost more than what i paid for the car :D For £150 you can get a full silicone hose set - would look rather cool ^_^

cool project by the way :lol:

danpug

Unfortunately i didn't!

hodgy

i was gonna re do my car along the lines of your red and white total 205.

Dan Ingram

Looking very good. Im planning to do similar things to mine apart from the taking it rallying bit. If you need one to look at to work out how it all goes back together then your very welcome to come and look. Im only 5 minutes down the road and I wouldnt mind a nosey round yours aswell :blush:

Edited by ingy

stuart

Cheers for the offer Ingy, I might be working over at Warton in the new year actually so I will be literally 5 mins away then :lol:

I think I'll have to save some pennies up so I can get the silicone hose kit in the new year... Aparantly the other breather hoses are going to be available soon as well as the filler so would be nice to have a full set. I am planning on sticking with the 1600 8v, so if / when I build my planned engine (150-160bhp spec) I can just swap them over.

Once I get my group N engine mount pressed in, I'll probably put the bare engine in and build the rest of it up from there.

So over xmas / new year I'm planning on getting the brakes plumbed up, so long as I can get hold of all the unions in time. I wouldn't mind making a start on the wiring too but one thing at a time :wub:

I'll try to get some more pics up soon too as I've not really taken many since the car was sprayed

Edited by stuart

Dave G

looks great, keep it up

ajm-e30

nice build mate, looking to something the same myself

stuart

Ok so I've fitted all the Group N engine mounts now and have given the motor another clean up.

It's still not as clean as i'd want but I don't think I'll get it much better unless I start taking it to pieces. There's just a couple of bits I want to to give another coat of paint like the gearbox end casing, clutch arm and sump and then I WILL be fitting the engine! :)

I'm also about ready to do the brakes, got the tools now but still need to get some unions sorted.

Also, I cant find some of the brackets for the rear flexis - Can anyone tell me how many there should be and where I can get replacements from?

I know there should be one on the trailing arm next to the caliper and one on the bottom damper bolt but should there another one in front of the axle near where the compensators usually go? The car already had the 1.9 beam on but I can't remeber if there were any of these brackets fitted there :P

I'm going to run the solid lines in the car though, so could I just bolt the flexi through the bulkhead or boot floor instead of having the solid pipe going through a grommet?

Cheers for the comments and helps so far lads!

Stu

Edited by stuart

stuart

I've been looking through the various boxes of fasteners and brackets I've got but can't find the rear brake flexi brackets :wacko:

Does anyone have any spares they can sell me or know where I can get new ones from?

Cheers

Stuart

bren_1.3

bin them.

run the solid lines through the top of the rear bulkhead where the seat belt holes are. then use 90 degree m10 elbows on braided lines out the back of the bulkhead. if your on discs and calipers then use m10 banjo bolt fittings to the calipers.

run the braided lines alone the side of the bulkhead and at the top of the crosstube, before running them over the top of the trailing arms. if you need ideas i can take some pictures as to show you how ive done mine.

stuart

I would've gone for some 1 piece rear flexi's from the bulkhead back, it's a much better idea but I already have the goodridge ones so I've made some new brackets for the job. I still need to fit them yet tho as I have to re-tap one of the bleed nipples on the calipers :(

I have sorted the front brakes out tho :ph34r:

DSC01472.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

And today me and a mate finally re-fitted the engine, no crane required :wub: lol.

DSC01557.jpg

It's finally starting to come together now, next job is to finish the brake lines and then get the braided fuel lines made up - anyone have any recommendations where?

Edited by stuart

stuart

Well I've almost finished the brake lines now but one of the threads on the hydraulic handbrake needs tapping again (wasn't done properly when it came....) One of the threads on the bias valve (2nd hand) was stripped too so I need to find some more unions for that...

So I've now decided to make a start on the wiring which is actually going quite well for a change ;)

I've tidied up a few bits of mess that the previous owner had left me and have found homes for most wires, just need to get rid of excess wires now, i.e. heater, radio, central locking, etc.

This is how the interior looks at the mo:

DSC01639.jpg

Engine bay slowly getting filled now:

DSC01638.jpg

I'm hoping to get the power on at weekend, fire extinguisher at the ready! :blink:

rapidmi

looking good, nice and clean.

stuart
looking good, nice and clean.

That's the idea :blush: Not sure how long it will stay like that though...

- Quick update on progress -

Have sorted out the wires I need and the one's I don't, everything connected up now. I just need to tape up what I'm left with and get it all fastened in.

Also been busy today prepping and priming the plastic body parts (bumpers, arches, grille, etc). Hopefully tomorrow I can flat them and then give them a few coats of top coat :)

So after those it's just the doors, boot, bonnet left to paint (primered and flatted already) when I get chance to take them to my mates workshop.

It's coming together slowly but surely :wub:

stuart

Well a bit of progress has been made since my last update...not as much as i'd like but at least it's being done properly...

The brake lines are finished, just need bleeding up now. The wiring loom has been cut down to a bare minimum and is ready for testing once I get a battery...

All bodywork is ready for a final coat once the car is up and running. The idea is that once the spraying is complete the car will be fully built up at the spray shop, i.e. windows, bumpers, etc and then driven straight for it's MOT :D

One thing holding up getting it running though is the fuel lines...

I intend running braided lines through the inside of the car but understand that this needs to be PTFE lined to prevent fumes from stinking out the car.

- What fittings will I need to do this though? What size is the fitting on the fuel rail feed?

Also, do I need special ends for going onto the tank / pressure regulator or do you just strip back the braid and use hose clips as the original hose is?

Obviously it will be cheaper to use normal braided rubber hose but how bad is the smell?

P.S. more pics to come when I have something intersting to show :rolleyes:

Cheers

Stu

bren_1.3

the smell isnt that bad.... and its probably more hassle to fit all the PTFE lined stuff than the rubber braided hose. the better quality the rubber hose the better. ive seen some real horror stuff used with very poor overbraiding.

you can pop down and take a look at mine if you want. im only down the road.

Rob Thomson

My old 106 stage car used to reek of fuel when you first got in after leaving it parked up for a few days, but the smell would soon disperse. The only real problem was that once it very nearly failed the MOT because the tester wouldn't believe me that it was the fuel lines sweating; he was convinced the smell was a leak. He only passed it because I knew him, he said that if anyone else had brought the car to him he'd have failed it.