• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

205 Front Wing - Painting Before Fitting

skinner2k3

This is not my first attempt at bodywork but I would like to make a better job of it than my previous efforts. I have a pattern part wing which currently has a black finish to it which I presume is just to stop it rusting in storage. So I guess this only needs keying? Or does it need removing completely?

Few more questions;

1)What type and grade of abrasive should I use to key and then use between coats to rub down?

2)Is it possible to prep, prime and paint a wing before fitting it? Reason being my garage isn’t big enough to paint the wing fitted.

3)I have 1 can of paint mixed to the correct paint code and 1 can of Halfords “Peugeot Black” off the shelf stuff. Will my 1 can of mixed paint do the whole wing or could I use the “Peugeot Black” to get a decent coverage on the primer then do last coats of mixed paint on top?

4)What sealer can I use for that rib that supports the middle of the wing?

Thanks in advance guys

ashley peddle

i used silicon sealer to gold my wing onto the support bar - never had any problems...

i painted it off the car, but trust me it would have been easier to do it on the car. I was so worried about scratching it when fitting - would have been easier to bolt it on, get it straight and then paint it :D

skinner2k3

Silicon it is then.

I am tempted to prime it off the car as I have heard the pattern parts rust pretty quickly so I want to get a good layer of primer on before I fit it. Maybe a bit of hammerite on the back as well. Will have to find somewhere indoors to paint it though???

steve@cornwall
Silicon it is then.

I am tempted to prime it off the car as I have heard the pattern parts rust pretty quickly so I want to get a good layer of primer on before I fit it. Maybe a bit of hammerite on the back as well. Will have to find somewhere indoors to paint it though???

TBH I wouldn't think of painting without a booth at this time of year, the moisture in the air will more than likely bloom, lift, blister quite quickly. I would prob. paint off the car anyway, doing away with the overspray which goes a surprising distance. Even if painting on the car, I would first paint te rear edge off the car with a can or two of rattle can If you have paint already, would a local body shop be willing to quote for painting with that? Prob. be less money and time than needing to re-do it in a few months time

Baz

If you want to paint the whole wing, it's easier off the car obviously to get good coverage everywhere. The only real reason you'd do it on the car is if you were blending the door & bonnet too. (which i don't suppose you would being a DIY job?)

Most panels come already painted in a kind of primer, but it's sometimes not that good as you say. On the inside/back use some decent underseal, schutz etc, as this is where you'll usually see shoddily painted/fitted non-OE wings rotting through. And seal/bond it properly to the inner arch using a decent sealant, so all the crud doesn't get through, build up and hold moisture.

And if you want it to look any good, take your time, the key to a good finish is in the preparation. Perhaps read some painting techniques/guides etc because it's hard to achieve a can painted good finish. At least a couple of coats with a light smooth with a fine wet and dry between them, but nothing between the top coat and lacquer.

I'm sure someone like Paintguy can answer this much better than i can!

toddydal

me personly.id fit it to the car 1st,id prime the wing,then id put colour on all the inside edges, and then bond the wing on,but not with anything silicon based,thats the last thing ull see in a body shop,whith the wing on and depending if its a metalic or not,u may find ull need to blend the colur into the door aswell so the colur will match,u can do it in a normal garage but ull get better results in a body shop.the only bad thing ull get in a normal garage is bits of dirt,but leave it a couple of days and flat it down with soapywater and 1500-2000 paper and remove all the dirt and polish it back up with a rubbing compound and polish machine.it can be done but just more work

skinner2k3

I have just done the inside of the wing with schutz, god thats messy stuff!

The plan is to give that the rest of the day to dry, then rub down the outside of the wing to flat/key that black finish and remove any schutz which crept through. Then tomorrow the guys in the spray booth at work are going to put a few layers of primer on. It wont matter if the primer goes over the schutz will it?

I want to move th car out of the garage asap so I am not sure whether to fit the wing primed and then finish the painting when I can get the whole car into bigger/warmer/cleaner garage?? or to try and paint the thing in my garage and then risk scratching it fitting???

Will the wing be ok out in the rain once the primer has dried?

What sealant should I try and get if not silicone?

Cheers

toddydal

you want a bond and seal 1,thers plenty out ther,ull get it from local factors,partco,tms,probly ebay aswell,siilicon 1s can be a nightmer for paint,thats why all bodyshops use a siilicon free wax polish,and sealers,we get all our sealers from kent industries and wurth,they are a bond and seal type,when i served my time at a peugeot garage in the late 80s-90s,we used to bond 205 wings on with a product called urafix it was great stuff,but i dont know if u can still get it,and you can get good results in a normal diy garage,i painted my brothers mini in his garage,and it came out just as good as in a spray booth,i had to flat the hole car back down,then i polished it back up with a machine and a rubing compund,it took me ahole day to polish it but like i say,the results wer perfect,he takes it to shows and evrything,its just alot more work,in a spraybooth its painted and out the door

toddydal

just type in seam sealer on ebay

DaveW

I used seam sealer/tiger seal from a local auto paint shop about £6 for a tube.

skinner2k3

Toddydal was that a rattle can job or proper spray gun? Unfortunately I dont have access to a compressor etc so its rattle can for me. I think I am leaning towards painting the wing off the car in the nice warm workshop at work then fitting it carefully.

I will have a look on ebay for seam sealer then. I have heard of that tiger seal before as well, will keep an eye out for either.

When I test fitted the wing I found it impossibe to get that forked tab at the rear of the wing to slot into that bracket just in front of the door (about 30mm up from the sill ish). Should that unbolt from the inside and then be fitted to the wing before its bolted on?

toddydal

no it was with a spraygun,but you can put the primer on with a spraycan,but colour it with a spraygun and compressor,wat colour is the car

toddydal

it unbolts from the inside,thers 1 bolt to undo,these r strait forwud wings to take off.piece of piss,aprt from the sealer,but wen uve got all the bolts undun just rip it off

Baz

:rolleyes:

I really wouldn't do it on the car! And i wouldn't paint it yourself DIY style with rattle cans unless you don't care that much about the finish, or are very practised in it, and/or have the ability/tools to flat and polish it to a good standard yourself. As said it can be done, and made to look half decent, but it isn't easy.

skinner2k3

Now I have realised that the clip unbolts I wont be painting it on the car. Nor will I be painting it with rattle cans because 1) the finish would be poor and 2) I would need more cans and they are £10 each.

What I have decided is to use our works std black paint, which means I can have it sprayed by our guys in the spray booth and hopefully get a decent finish. I suppose it was a case of right colour, s*ite finish or wrong colour, nice finish. Bearing in mind the bonnet doesnt match anyway, neither do the doors and the O/S/R quater has cracked laquer and is now grey I think it will be good enough!!

Edited by skinner2k3

ashley peddle

sounds like a full respray would be better? :rolleyes:

skinner2k3

Agreed. But its a track car and I would rather spend that sort of money else where...if I had it to begin with!

I probably should add that our spray booth at work is not an garage drive in jobbie, its an open design with extraction and a water wall arrangement to draw away the overspray. I couldnt get the whole car in there if thats what you were thinking.

steve@cornwall

Rattle- Can it!!!!! 2 cans per panel and you can do the lot. So long as you put enough effort into the cutting and polishing afterwards you can get a decent result. Click on GTI link in sig for full rattle-can resprayed car :):ph34r::lol:

Sign in to follow this