• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Theo205

Setting Ignition Timing Properly

DamirGTI
wish i could fully understand what you were all talking bout. so trial and error to try get some life back into my 1.9. its getting rr set up soon and will they mess round with the dizzy to get the best power out the car?

Hello !

Yes for sure , but just the ignition timing not this spring rate adjustment ;)

Anyway it's best to talk with the "H&H Ignition Solutions" boys and let them do this recurving job for you , they're not expensive (around 20-30 quid ..) , you will be surprised what a difference will it make after the recurving job :lol:

It works like a bloody miracle , especially if you have modified engine ...

Cheers ! :lol:

Damir

Rob_the_Sparky

Hmmm, I need to talk to them again as they have quoted me £107 - I'm guessing this is including a re-built dizzy as well as the mods. Did you just get an old dizzy tweaked or re-built as well?

DamirGTI
Hmmm, I need to talk to them again as they have quoted me £107 - I'm guessing this is including a re-built dizzy as well as the mods. Did you just get an old dizzy tweaked or re-built as well?

:lol: ouch , yes it must be recurving job + re-built as because I've paid 20.00 quid + VAT 5.60 + postage 12.00 = total 37.60 quid ;) and yes all the dizzy parts are old , except the springs ..

I remember when I've been asking them how much they charge that the price for re-build was around 80.00 (85.00) , so that must be complete dizzy rebuild + spring rate adjusting ...

Damir :lol:

simonb

I'm just going to be bending the posts slightly on my spare tonight to see if it makes any difference before commiting to anything else. In theory, this should work fine....

hodgy

can anyone post me up a link to where i can click to buy it or do i have to phone them and speak to them? as i think it will finally sort my engine out seen as i have a 285 cam and R1 carbs and no real extra power

pike_1.9cti

H&H ignition have a website. Search google it will come up. I brought one of them recently, was £125 for a fully rebuilt one siuted to my mods. They are a really nice bunch of guys there, nick was the chap i talked to helped out alot, and yes the re curve makes a diference, but if u can afford it fully mappable seems to be the way forward according to people on here.

ben

H&H Ignition solutions

hodgy

do i have to supply the dizzy for them to do it? i wanna order one monday so i can have it before xmas

hodgy

would i be best buying an uprated coil too? or are they just a mith? well hope it sorts my car out. ill ring them monday and get one ordered

simonb

OK all done - bent the posts outward about 1-2mm.

Results:

Low down pinking was all gone and so advanced 1-2 degrees more. Still no pinking so advanced another 2 degrees. Split second of pinking at WOT so have backed off a hair and pinking is now all gone. Top end is exactly the same whilst low down is smooth progressive without the pinking, and as a bonus; my idle speed is now rock solid even when all electrics are on instead of dropping 200 rpm.

So, deffinately a worthwhile way to spend an hour. I'm very pleased with the result. :-)

pike_1.9cti

They were tops with me, coz i didnt want to be with out a car as its my main form of transport they sent it and let me return the old unit after it was swapped over.

ben

hodgy

same here its my everyday car so i need my car for work. ive got a 1.6 dizzy if i could send them that.

pike_1.9cti

Just give the guys a call, the phone number is on the site, they will ask for the part number of the disturber which is stamped on it to send one down, so ask then about if they have to take a direct replacement back.

ben

DamirGTI

Results:

Low down pinking was all gone and so advanced 1-2 degrees more. Still no pinking so advanced another 2 degrees. Split second of pinking at WOT so have backed off a hair and pinking is now all gone. Top end is exactly the same whilst low down is smooth progressive without the pinking, and as a bonus; my idle speed is now rock solid even when all electrics are on instead of dropping 200 rpm.

So, deffinately a worthwhile way to spend an hour. I'm very pleased with the result. :-)

Hello !

Nice one ! ;)

Damir :excl:

Edited by DamirGTI

sutol

Results:

Next is to try top end. Advance until you gain some top end and ignore the bottom end pinking. You can get rid of the bottom end pinking by replacing the weak spring with a stronger one. This holds back the advance at lower rpm.

keep twiddling whilst it's cheap :unsure:

Theo205

I'm glad this thread turned out to be helpful for many fellow 8valvers.

Driving my 205 after fiddling with the ign. timing has been a whole new expirience for me for the last 5 days.

I now have alot more control in bends because of the midrange power I've gained and will pull stronger at higher revs than before. I might dare to say that I also have better mpg, but I will verify that later.

The only downside is some pinking before 2000rpm and I would like to hold responsible the weakened springs of the bob weights.

For the moment I wont try to experiment on my current dizzy, since I tried that in the past with a spare one and unfortonately I was never able to find parts and rebuild it.

I have asked quotation from H&H for a rebuild, and I've also dared to ask for a price from pug dealer. :unsure:

They quoted 340 UKP as first price but because the part is for older cars and I also get a 40% off they will give me a final price next week. Since my engine has only 15k on it (new from dealer) I thought it would be worth it if I get it for a sensible price.

More news next week :ph34r:

Theo

simonb

Well - emailed H&H regarding the supply of a set of std springs for dizzy and havent heard anything back. Idea was to rebuilt my spare using new std-rated springs so that I have a good spare...

Pugnut

always been running BP SUL and always had the above results trying to set up the timing . Yesterday i filled up with V Power and i just cant beleive how well its running , it just wants to rev and rev . Throttle response is fantastic and its pulling strong in every gear . its like a different car . Unbeleivable .

nowt wrong with my dizzy . I'll just keep filling up with V Power!!

welshpug

amazing isn't it!

I run my 405 on it as much as possible :) with an ecu re-set it has a lot more mid range grunt

Sign in to follow this