• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Exhaust Manifold

Pob

Hi all,

My exhaust manifold is cracked so it will need to come off. Is it worth replacing the manifold with a 4 branch (Any recommendations?) or just sticking to the standard one? The heads had a bit of work and a high lift cam, would there be a noticeable increase in power or should I just save my money and stick with the standard one?

Is there any tips for removing the manifold, I don't want to snap the studs

Many Thanks,

Dan

ccgoose

i would go for the 4 branch if it was me :D

Rob_the_Sparky

No. Little point in the expense of a 4 branch if you have a good quality standard pipe. The stock pipe has a split in it (it is formed of two D shpaed pipes welded back to back) which means it is very good as standard. Some cheap replacements do not have the split and you loose power because of it but not generally worth the cost of a 4 branch unless lots of other mods are on the cards.

Getting studs out is a pain but standard rules apply, good tools at the start help, surface drive or 6 point sockets are good. New nuts from Pug are a good idea as they have a new design that don't sieze like the originals (they look like copper but are probably some alloy or other). Also get a later exhaust manifold with the additional strengthening, they last much longer than the original part (which are always cracking). Should be plenty of 2nd hand parts around if you put in an ad.

Pob
No. Little point in the expense of a 4 branch if you have a good quality standard pipe. The stock pipe has a split in it (it is formed of two D shpaed pipes welded back to back) which means it is very good as standard. Some cheap replacements do not have the split and you loose power because of it but not generally worth the cost of a 4 branch unless lots of other mods are on the cards.

Getting studs out is a pain but standard rules apply, good tools at the start help, surface drive or 6 point sockets are good. New nuts from Pug are a good idea as they have a new design that don't sieze like the originals (they look like copper but are probably some alloy or other). Also get a later exhaust manifold with the additional strengthening, they last much longer than the original part (which are always cracking). Should be plenty of 2nd hand parts around if you put in an ad.

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't intending removing the studs. I've got new manifold nuts, gaskets and exhaust fitting kit. I'm going to take it off and see what condition its in and get it welded... There is a local professional welder that should be able to do it. What is the best method to weld it? Also what torque settings does the manifold nuts need to be done up to?

Many Thanks,

Dan

Sign in to follow this