• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SAMSMITH

Just A Few Things

SAMSMITH

question one: found a few places that sell rear arches for 205s. problem is they are not GTi specific. all i need to know is there any diffeerance other than the obvious mounting holes for the platic mouldings? as obviously i can drill these myself.

is there any differance in the sills?

and do you think black with a red stripe around the rim or antracite with a red stripe around the tim would look good on wheels? gonna have a play with my spares

Jrod

Do you mean the actual metal arch? if so thjey are a diff shape for non GTI.

SAMSMITH

yes i mean the actual metal arch. no where seems to have them so thats a twat if they dont make them and leaves me a bit stumped for ideas

SAMSMITH

anyone have any ideas on where i can get one?

autofive are ment to be getting back to me

TurboSam

cut one out of a scrap car and weld onto yours?

taylorspug

Sill are the same for all 3 door non convertible models.

If you want a whole 3/4 panel, you can get them from Peugeot (who would have thought eh?!), they are around the £150 mark. You could remove one from another GTI, but this is really hard, it took me the best part of a day to get one off undamaged. And the panels for the GTI and non GTI are radically different, its not just a case of drilling some holes.

Id imagine Autofive will go straight to Peugeot for a quarter panel, then add some money on for the trouble.

SAMSMITH

i know i spoke to pug. it was £120 plus the VAT for a whole quarter panel. its only the arch i want though. dont really wanna replace a whole panel. i spose i could get a price.

pug_ham

You can't replace just the arch, its a complete panel or skilled repair to fix this section.

TBH the new panel would most likely be cheaper in the end.

Graham.

bren_1.3

what exactly have you done? has the car been involved in an accident? pictures? then maybe we can give you an idea of whats required?

SAMSMITH

here you go. just rust repair

post-11125-1196174756.jpg

post-11125-1196174764.jpg

bren_1.3

jesus is that all? :) u want to replace an entire panel for that? it looks like surface rust to me? i dont see any holes?

SAMSMITH

reckon filler will be fine then? got qouted £300 ro spray and delock a door and do that work

GLPoomobile
jesus is that all? :) u want to replace an entire panel for that? it looks like surface rust to me? i dont see any holes?

The back of the sill at the base of the arch will have rotted out from the inside.

If you want a good quality repair that will last then there is no point trying to remove the rust and cover it up, as it'll be back in 6 months time.

Either replace the whole panel or cut the rotten metal out and fashion some replacement sections (I'd point you in the direction of Taylorspug's restoration thread for his silver 205, but the photo hosting site is down at the moment. But he had rot in the bottom of the arch like that. Pretty common area). As mentioned earlier, you may only want to replace the arches. but you have to buy the whole panel from Pug, it's then up to your body shop if they choose to replace the whole panel or cut it down and only use the section they need.

GLPoomobile
reckon filler will be fine then? got qouted £300 ro spray and delock a door and do that work

Seriously, get your interior panel off and look inside. Bet you it's corroded on the inside. There's no reason for the rot to start from the outside unless the paintwork is damaged first of all, or it's had panel damage. Chances are, it's been collecting water from a rear window leak or something.

Another good example was Paintguy's restoration (again, same hosting site :) ). He had the usual split spot weld on the base of the b pillar and a little bit of surface rust if IIRC, same thing you'll see on 9 out of 10 205s, but when he stripped it down it was rotten right into the B pillar and he had to do a lot of complicated cutting and welding and additional spot welds.

Get it fillered up if you want, but it depends if the cars a keeper or not. You'll regret it in 6 months to a year once you see the rot creeping back again.

SAMSMITH

car will probably be gone once i can insure a 1.9. get the feeling ill end up having to strip it though if the rust is bad.

Sign in to follow this