• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tom1900

God Damn 205gti's

Guest tom1900

Hello 205 gods

I am new to the forum been browsing for ages!!!

Recently bought a 205 gti after owning another 1.9 previously, was a bargain for 150... or so i thought at the time. Had alot of work done to get through mot...

The radiator was replaced and also the waterpump although not by me, the mechanic said 3 bolts snapped when he removed it and there was a crack in the mounting plate?? Although he said he managed to get it fitted and check the water pressure, saying it was fine.

Long story cut short when i collected the car the brakes had not been bled properly after a hose was replaced and the car seriously overheats after 15 odd miles of not hard driving, the rad stays cool although the pipe joined to the water resivour at the top gets hot and i suppose appears to expand.

It might sayin before i sent it in i replaced the radiator and the fan switch, was working fine but the fan does not seem to come on now, maybe because the rad does not get hot enough?

A mate of mine works at a tyre shop and i popped in at lunch to see what he reckoned, we thought it might be a blocked radiator but it wasnt,... has been bleed properly but one pipe thats quite big underneath the throttle seems to have an airlock?

My question to you wizards is?

WHATS BROKEN:(

Do you reckon it is the thermostat or the water pump? Or something else? Its an E reg 1900

Stoping every 20mins to cool down is driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

large

Try taking the thermostat out, or have a go at bleading it again. Do the heaters in the car get hot?

jackherer

Does sound like the thermostat, take it out and put it in boiling water to see if it opens. Its probably worth just changing it anyway as they are very cheap.

Guest tom1900
Does sound like the thermostat, take it out and put it in boiling water to see if it opens. Its probably worth just changing it anyway as they are very cheap.

Any idea where i could find a post on changing the thermostat?? Haynes manual really confuses the hell out of me!!! :unsure: The heater does get bloody hot!!! i have to leave it on all the time, will have a go changing the thermostat tommorow and see what happens, was reading the other posts and they said changing the anti freeze can sometimes affect it so i guess its a worth a shot.

Bleeding the rad was a pain, i ended up just taking the cap of and squezing air out of the pipes, not sure if it was good enough but hopfully its the stat

pug_ham

Changing the thermostat is easy;

• Drain cooling system.
  • Remove radiator top hose to thermostat housing.
  • Remove two 13mm bolts & pull cap off, exposing the thermostat.

You'll need two new seals for the thermostat after you've removed it, they've probably been on since new so will be well past re-using.

Bleeding the system is through the two bleed points, one on the hose to the heater matrix near the bulkhead & the other on the thermostat housing.

Graham.

post-71-1196032325_thumb.jpg

Edited by pugtorque
to add picture

welshpug

look at the dizzy from the front of the car, then see where the top radiator hose joins the head, theres an alloy take off with 2 bolts in it that the hose is attached to, under there is the thermostat.

make sure you get a new seal with it as well, there's branch of GSF in your town - http://www.gsfcarparts.com/contact/map.asp?location=PO36FH they'll sell you an O.e quality stat complete with new seal :unsure:

large

To blead the system there is a small screw in the top of the pipe by the master cylinder as for the stat the big pipe you had hold of befor (that sounds sooo wrong) where that fits onto the engine you have a dome shaped thing held on with 2 bolts, just remove that and the black thind is the stat.

Sign in to follow this