• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

Steering Rack Choice

sutol

I'm sure sombody will know this.

I had a look in Haynes and they only state turns lock to lock but don't state whether or not it is for power steering. It give the same figure for standard car and GTi.

What I need to know is should I leave the non power rack on for the track or is the power rack less turns lock to lock ?

Ta :)

Bonzai

pretty sure the PAS rack is less turns lock to lock, i have one on my 205 with the ram removed

jackherer

Its 3.6 for non pas and 3.2 for pas IIRC. Definitely quicker with PAS anyway.

sutol

Haynes quote 3.8 turns lock to lock for all models but I know this can't be right. I'm going to check it as soon as 'cause I've got a power rack off the car and a non power on a car.

I actually prefer more turns as I tend to over react with a quick rack, I feel to have more presice control especially with a bigger wheel as the old cars used to have. Maybe I'm old fashioned <_<

pike_1.9cti

i love the feel of the 205 with the original steering as it was meant to be!!! Dont think your old fashioned at all! (unless im an old man in a young body <_< )

kate205gti

^^ what he said :D ive got a PAS rack on mine and def a bit tighter <_< but not undriveable if u have no arm muscles like a proper quickrack so all good :D

sutol

If you drive propperly then you don't need a quick rack, it should be smooth and controlled not back and to jerky ...so there <_<

Sign in to follow this