• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Losing Gearbox Oil

dch1950

Hi all,

as I mentioned in a previous post,I have just replaced my driveshaft oil seals after discovering oil under the car.This however,has not cured the problem (although no leaks from the drive housing on the diff now !). The oil leak persists. It is not apparent when parked except as a few drops,but after 3 or 4 days the box starts making wierd and wonderful noises and inspection shows that virtually all of the recently added 2 litres of oil has gone. I've checked the filler plug and wrapped it with PTFE so I'm certain it's not coming from there. but as the lowest point on the bottom of the engine it is dripping over the plug.

Inspection from above is neccessarily limited (removed air hoses etc) and has not revealed anything obvious.

I'm a bit stuck now and would ask for your advice as apart from a cracked gearbox housing (heaven forbid) I can't think what is causing this.

thanx in advance

Dave.

jord294

possibly the o ring has perished in the housing that holds the speedo drive?

i had similar problem, and actually found no o ring to start with :rolleyes:

simonb

Could also be the seal on the inside of the box which goes over the input shaft. Is your clutch slipping? There is a plastic cover on the front of the gearbox which can be pulled off. You should be able to see inside a little using this. The downside is that the box will need to come off in order to fix it.

dch1950

Hi,

thanx for your suggestions.My money is on the speedo gear connection but I will get under today and have a closer look. now I know where to actually look.

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

I am slowly going nuts over this problem.I power washed the bottom of the engine and box (car on ramps) and then fired it up to see if any leaks - (none obvious).At this point it was possible that oil level in the box was so low that none to come out any way so toppped it with 1litre (this didn't cause feed hole drip so my assumption about how much oil in the box seemed correct). Took the car for a run and then came back, put it on the ramps again to check where the leak was. Bugger - dry as a bone.

Subsequent town driving and parking has revealed the leak is STILL there. I don't have clutch slip so I ruled out the input shaft seal.The leak seems to depend on how hot the gearbox oil is and how far I drive.Could it be a blocked gearbox breather maybe pressurising the box oil and blowing it out.

Any further help would be appreciated as I'm stuck.

regards

Dave.

jord294

if you think about it, the hotter oil becomes, the thinner it gets.

i did have same problem when i first had my 205 gti

i still reckon its possibly the o ring has perished in the housing that holds the speedo drive?

i actually found no o ring to start with

Richie-Van-GTi

I agree with Jord , if the O ring has perished it will leak but easily cured with liquid gasket if an O ring cant be easily sourced. Also check the mating face is flat. Ive seen 2 that werent due to one bolt being tightened before the others at a guess and bending the ally housing around that area.

dch1950

Hi Guys,

Just to close this topic out, it WAS a cracked diff housing.As the car had never leaked in 7 years previously and I had had the engine recon'd I suspect the engine fitter - did he tickle it a bit hard when he got the box off? - I'll never know but I gave him a right Bo****ing just to make the point.

Had the box reconditioned by ACE gearboxes of Northampton (picked it up and dropped it back FOC)

This cost £380 for the full recon and has a 12 month warranty. This has been a real pain to sus out as the crack was right up at the top mount bolt of the diff.

Sorted now though.Thanx for your help.

regards

Dave