• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

Octerol Paints

eddie bullit

Has anyone used or heard anything regarding octerol paints?

eddie bullit

Sorry its Octoral . doh...

toddydal

yes iv used it and its very good,weve got octoral,shirly williams and max myer,but i think octorols the best 1,although shirly williams drys faster

eddie bullit
yes iv used it and its very good,weve got octoral,shirly williams and max myer,but i think octorols the best 1,although shirly williams drys faster

Cheers for that toodyda if you have anymore info on the paint then please give us all the info it would be much appreciated..The pug is miamiblue and my pride and joy so any info on prefered prepping setting / baking times when best to refit trims etc.cheers for your reply :rolleyes:

toddydal
Cheers for that toodyda if you have anymore info on the paint then please give us all the info it would be much appreciated..The pug is miamiblue and my pride and joy so any info on prefered prepping setting / baking times when best to refit trims etc.cheers for your reply :excl:

toddydal

the prep work has to be spot on with all water based paints,as for the bake of times,depends on what hardener your using in the clearcoat,for a full respray ull use a normal hardener,which is 1/2 hr to 40mins bake at 75temp,as for fitting back up,leave it coulple of hrs and its rock hard,u can flat and polish it with no problems at all,sometimes we only leave the car to cool down(10mins) and re-fit stuff back 2 the car,but for a novice id leave it for a day and you shud be ok,,ull only mark it if your not being careful and rushing it,with the octoral water,its usely a 1/2 coat coat,then a full wet coat and then a drop coat, making sure evry coat is dry before evry coat,they reccomend that u give it the final drop coat as this determs the final colour of the paint,as for the gun pressure its 2 to 2.3 bar and about 1.4 bar for the drop coat,and like evry basecoat,make sure its completly dry before you apply the clear

eddie bullit
the prep work has to be spot on with all water based paints,as for the bake of times,depends on what hardener your using in the clearcoat,for a full respray ull use a normal hardener,which is 1/2 hr to 40mins bake at 75temp,as for fitting back up,leave it coulple of hrs and its rock hard,u can flat and polish it with no problems at all,sometimes we only leave the car to cool down(10mins) and re-fit stuff back 2 the car,but for a novice id leave it for a day and you shud be ok,,ull only mark it if your not being careful and rushing it,with the octoral water,its usely a 1/2 coat coat,then a full wet coat and then a drop coat, making sure evry coat is dry before evry coat,they reccomend that u give it the final drop coat as this determs the final colour of the paint,as for the gun pressure its 2 to 2.3 bar and about 1.4 bar for the drop coat,and like evry basecoat,make sure its completly dry before you apply the clear

Thanks for taking the time to explain the paint process for me toddydal. Just like to know the correct procedures , like to know what makes things tick etc.. The respray is being dealt with by a local bodyshop but I always feel like I'm being an nosey customer when I ask a question..They probably think I'm checking up on them but I'm just interested to know..

toddydal

well look for dry orange peely paint,make sure thers no runs or sags in the paint,make sure the cars been stripped proply,if it has ther shud be no overspray on rubbers,lights,etc etc,make sure ther is no dirt or other contaminants in the paint, and make sure therv done all the dents and dings ,the paint work wen its done shud be flawless and like a mirror finish,the preperation for a small 205 is preety easy,they will strip basicly evry thing off the car that dusnt need painting,lights,bumbers,mirrors,doorhandles,locks,all the outside body trim,sunroof etc,then the will do all the dents and rust,ther shud be very little rust on a 205,then rub the car down with sanding discs,prime all the repairs,mask the car up,degrese the car with a spirit wipe tac it off,with a tac rag,(thats like a sticky cloth to remove all the fine dirt and dust),base the car up with your colour of yor car and then put to coats of clearcoat on,(this is wat makes the car shine)bake for 40mins and thats it,i served my time on these 205gtis in the late 80s-90s so i know the bodywork on these inside out,how much are you paying for the respray

eddie bullit
well look for dry orange peely paint,make sure thers no runs or sags in the paint,make sure the cars been stripped proply,if it has ther shud be no overspray on rubbers,lights,etc etc,make sure ther is no dirt or other contaminants in the paint, and make sure therv done all the dents and dings ,the paint work wen its done shud be flawless and like a mirror finish,the preperation for a small 205 is preety easy,they will strip basicly evry thing off the car that dusnt need painting,lights,bumbers,mirrors,doorhandles,locks,all the outside body trim,sunroof etc,then the will do all the dents and rust,ther shud be very little rust on a 205,then rub the car down with sanding discs,prime all the repairs,mask the car up,degrese the car with a spirit wipe tac it off,with a tac rag,(thats like a sticky cloth to remove all the fine dirt and dust),base the car up with your colour of yor car and then put to coats of clearcoat on,(this is wat makes the car shine)bake for 40mins and thats it,i served my time on these 205gtis in the late 80s-90s so i know the bodywork on these inside out,how much are you paying for the respray

paying a grand. I stripped exterior trim grill badges etc theyve removed side glass s/roof and trim. sorted and primed dints etc and rubbed down exist miami paint ready to spray,does the whole car not need priming just rubbing down for a key?

toddydal

depends on how many dents and rust and stone chips,my 205 which im gona strip after xmas is really clean apart from the odd ripple here and ther,so ill probly just spot prime that,and ill rub the rest of the car down with 500 sanding discs,if the car needs lots doing then yes they may prime the hole of yor car,if uve stripped most of the car yorself then you shud get a decent job for a grand,it usely teks bout a week,

eddie bullit
depends on how many dents and rust and stone chips,my 205 which im gona strip after xmas is really clean apart from the odd ripple here and ther,so ill probly just spot prime that,and ill rub the rest of the car down with 500 sanding discs,if the car needs lots doing then yes they may prime the hole of yor car,if uve stripped most of the car yorself then you shud get a decent job for a grand,it usely teks bout a week,

Yeah car is very good. faults are: laquer on roof plus key marks and small dint , not noticable till flattened , all laquer on bonnet gone , approx 4 small parking dents on whole car. inner wings had a little surface rust which was ground off. small scab under the nearside headlight visable when bumpers where removed. I think this is where a smaal cylindrical resistor type thingy was clipped to the body causing a moisture trap. And thats it..

Sign in to follow this