• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205mattgti

Sump

205mattgti

Can anyone please tell me will a xu10 baffled sump fit on a xu9 engine, if it does what gasket and sump bolts do i use

if it makes any difference it is a ally xu10 sump

cheers

matt

Edited by 205mattgti

pug_ham

It should fit straight on, the sump gasket is the same one for the XU5/9 blocks so there shouldn't be any difference.

This topic goes into a bit more info but usually the xu10 sump is deeper as they don't need the stiffener / spacer plate due to the iron block resisting flex better than the alloy one.

Graham.

205mattgti

will i need to do any other modification before i fit the sump, will the pickup etc be ok still

and does it matter that it will hold more oil

pug_ham

It should simply fit straight on & it won't matter that it holds more oil.

If you leave the spacer fitted (best idea) & add extra oil so it reads the same on the dipstick it'll be fine imo.

Other than that you'll have to extend the oil pick up so it sits into the sump to the same depth.

Graham.

205mattgti

how do i extend the oil pickup so it sits lower down, also i dont have a spacer plate

Edited by 205mattgti

Bonzai

get in touch with petert, he makes just what you need

pug_ham

Is your car a 1.6 or 1.9? You say XU9 so it should have one especially if its a 1.9 GTi engine .

Graham.

edthedrummer

it should have an ally spacer plate between the sump and the block then. . . . shouldn't it??

pug_ham
it should have an ally spacer plate between the sump and the block then. . . . shouldn't it??

Yes, unless its not a 205 or 309 1.9 GTi engine.

Is it the original engine or a transplanted one?

Graham.

205mattgti

its a new engine, i will need to take my sump off to see, but just looking at block doesnt look like it has a spacer plate

pug_ham

No need to take the sump off simply to see what engine it is.

Well, not as long as it still has the engine number plate & ID tag by the upper engine mount.

There should be a small silver & black plate on the top of the block next to the r/h upper engine mount with a three digit code on, post it up (if its there) & we should be able to tell you what engine you have fitted.

Saying that, its pretty clear if there is a spacer fitted imo.

Graham.

pee vee

Definitly use the spacer plate/ strengthener.... i didnt once. and it was to my cost..

I was messing about trying to get a pts 1600 sump baffle to fit a 1900 sump.. long and short of it is,

a newly built engine spat its internals out after 1000 miles of running in,, just as it started being used harder...

and the only reason i can see is because i under-estimated just how much that spacer/stiffener actually does.... silly boy! wont be doing that again.

( this was mi16 though)

Sign in to follow this