• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McPikie

Rocking Passenger Chair

McPikie

OK, my local MOT stattion is usually quite leinient, but the passenger chair rocks quite badly in my 205. Is ithis a failure?

I Know I can fix it by fitting a 5 door subframe, but I have forgot the other way to do it :D

hengti

guess it's going to depend upon what the tester thinks at the time. you could try tightening all of the bolts to be sure it's as good as it's going to be without a new subframe?

Anthony

Depends how bad it is, but if you're unsure you can always remove it - after all, you can't test what isn't fitted....

large

Just take it out for the mot.

Peetypug

if you take the seat out dont you have to remove the seat belt as well?

they will know your going to put the seat back in and and will think there must be something wrong with it

but if there is no belt you can just say its easy access for the missus and the new born with it being a 3 door :D

kanyeost

My tester always used to complain about my seat stating that it was technically a failure but that he'd let it go because he couldn't fix it.

I haven't managed to stop the rock completely but I did improve it by winding the little rubber feet out on the bottom of the seat as far as they would go and by adding thin washers under the little rubber feet on the bottom of the chair that rest on the subframe when the seat is down.

Not too thick though or the seat doesn't lock back into position when you put it down.

large

^^^^^^ I dont think it will mater if you leave the belt in. It is just like removing a spare tyre if its a bit low on tread.If it's not in the car at the time of test they cant fail you for it.

28CRAIG

As said check the bolts and wind the rubbers buffers out.

welshpug

I took my seats out and welded them up a bit, there are some areas where the catches locate that wear away, build the metal back up here and grind down to shape. ( I had a cracked back/forward handle which I had to weld anyway so I had a look to see what else I could do while it was off)

pug_ham

Are the mounting bolts into the seat base all tight?

Often its not much more than these being loose that cause the seat to rock & they only take 10 minutes to tighten back up for a solid seat.

Graham.

Daxed

I failed an MOT due to a faulty subframe on the passenger seat, took the seat out, left the seat belt. Passed fine.

feb

A bolt has been missing from mine, after the MOT tester put it back all has been well ;)

McPikie

I could do with whipping the seat out for a look, but this s*itty weather doesnt help

jackherer

Aside from the MOT the police can prosecute you for dangerous condition of vehicle. I got pulled over and had the seats checked by some clued up old school traffic police who knew what to look for in an old 205, unfortunately for them I had welded it up an hour beforehand...

GLPoomobile

I'm another victim of a failed MOT due to this problem :lol: What annoyed me is that it's more of a characteristic of 205's rather than a fault, and in my case it really wasn't that bad at all. I got hold of some 2nd hand subframes, and it passed the MOT then, even though there was barely any difference in them :(

As for the police checks, it's lucky I never got stopped when I had 'floppy seat syndrome'! One of the welds on the actual seat frame snapped so my back rest would flop back a couple of inches on one side, leaving me sitting at an uncomfortable angle. I put up with that for ages until I got around to stripping the seats down to refurbish them.

butchlad

I took my old 205 in for an MOT with the passenger seat out and the belt still in. I know the MOT guys quite well, and they could see it was in the process of being rebuilt.

He did tell me that technically he could have failed it, as there was a belt in it, but nowhere to plug it into.

That seemed nothing short of ridiculous to me, and I'm sure most places would not bat an eyelid, but there may be pedantic testers out there!

Sign in to follow this