• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Xu5m Upgrade

ifcho

Hi,

On my 205 Cabrio I have a 1.6 XU5M/BDZ engine. It is with MMG610 computer.

As I need to renew the headgasket and the valve inserts on it, I was thinking of putting the head from a 1.6 GTI 105hp I have lying around. It is with valves, cam, followers, etc. Do you think this will help to squeeze some more power from this engine.

And while I'm on the same topic, I have a 1.9 bottom end lying around as well, apart from the head I was also thinking of changing the bottom end to the 1.9 (from a 128HP 1.9GTI).

However at this point I'm not sure if the electronics would be able to cope with the increased volume of the engine? If not, I will be considering a cheapo MegaSquirt

Any thoughts? :(

ifcho

I meant valve steam seals, not valve inserts :D

brianthemagical

may aswell put a 1.9 in it with 1.9 jetronic.

ifcho

It's an idea, but I don't like the jetronics, with their AFMs, stepper motors, lumpy idle and always something not working how it should be. This is why I'm avoiding them. And with a cost ~$300 for a MS-II with PCB-3, I think should be much better.

snillet

As that was the stock engine in my 309 i´m fairly familiar with it in all ways and i can tell you a secret :) ....

The BDY/BDZ/DDZ/DKZ AND the non catalyst versions of the same engines have the exactly same head, just different camshafts !

Just fit the camshaft from the 128hp 1.9gti engine, the inletmanifold from the XU9M (larger bore) and you´ll have a neat little revvy thing that seemingly on the outside is stock item. Only problem you might run into is that the fuelling might be a bit off, but nothing major. The camshaft on the 128hp engine is still quite "standard", the most significant difference from the BDZ camshaft is the higher lift. The duration is not that much longer that it should have a drastic effect on the mapping needs.

Sign in to follow this