• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Mi16 Misfire Through The Rev Range..

Stu

Morning peeps, ive waded through about 20 pages of search threads on misfiring Mi's and as a result of checking the 'usual suspects' have still got a prominant misfire throughout the rev range.

No i know most people would immediately say ignition amp, as would I, but ive changed it for a brand new one from GSF (admittedly not a Bosch one, which i know everyone recommends) but the problem was exactly the same. I cant see how an old amp, plus a brand new one could exhibit the exact same fault IF it was the amp. But then, ive already been proven wrong on the temp sender situation... :(

How reliable are the coil packs? the misfire is present regardless of load or temperature, its had a dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs, ignition amp, and coolant temp. The resistances on the AFM check out, the TPS 'clicks' on opening the throttle and gives the correct readings at closed, part throttle and WOT.

Leads perhaps? im loathed to keep chucking money at the thing in the hope it fixes it, so wondered if anyone could help. Where can i get this infamous Bosch ignition amp from? GSF and Europarts cant get one, and dealer prices are £70+ vat. Fook that..

Has anyone in the West Mids got some known good bits that they'd care to try for me in return for some beer tokens?

Edited by stu da rude

pacey205

My misfire was ignition amp and I tried both a new and an old one which exhibited exactly the same symptoms :S go figure. Eventaully I took it to Owen Developments in Oxford who got a scope on the ignition amp to discover that the signal was all over the place. They fitted a new one and its been fine ever since.

Michael

Stu

Yeah i read your thread with great interest mate, am i right in saying a Bosch amp solved the problem? My misfire is pretty much all through the range, i could really do with getting hold of a bosch part really, but everyone i ask keeps quoting me for the 3rd party one.

Stu

Reet, quick update on this..

I managed to drop on a new/old stock coil cheap cheap so i swapped this on to test, the misfire is still there.

BUT, when i dug out an old cylindrical type coil (i think its off my old Metro, so from a dizzy with points) and put this on the misfire disappeared all together, it started fine and drove great.

It is of a lesser resistance than the normal 205 coil, so im wondering if ive got a 'load' (electrical not mechanical) problem?

Would you expect the spark intensity to be reduced with a lower resistance coil?

Given that with this coil/amp setup ive not got a misfire, could the amp still be at fault? It is a new one, but its also a pattern item not a bosch one.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address... :)

GLPoomobile

When people refer to the ignition amp, what part is this? Is it what I'd call the ignition module - the little flat thing mounted to a metal plate that has a (7pin?) plug?

If it's the above, I've got a spare that I believe is a Bosch part and worked fine when last used, and I believe they are all the same for 1.6, 1.9 or Mi.

Stu

Thats the one bud, and yeah, they are all the same as far as i know.

What sort of money would you want for it bud? (if its a bosch one)..

GLPoomobile
Thats the one bud, and yeah, they are all the same as far as i know.

What sort of money would you want for it bud? (if its a bosch one)..

I'm not fussed really, £5 plus postage :) Guess it's worth more but I'm just glad to get rid of another spare part from cluttering up the place (even if it is just a small one).

I'll check if it's a bosch one tonight. You might need to PM me mid evening to remind me though :ph34r:

Stu

Coolio, ill drop you a PM tonight then dude. :)

Sign in to follow this