• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Will I Need An Oil Cooler And If So Which One?

Atari Boy

What is the deal with oil coolers on 1.9’s? Do I need one when I put a 1.9 lump in my 1.6? I use the car as a weekend toy and track days. I have seen some quite good Mocal kits, are these the right sort of thing, the standard Peugeot sandwich plate doesn’t even seem to have a thermostat.

Advice and opinions welcome.

Thanks

Jonny

brumster

I would err on the side of caution and fit one, yes. It depends how hard a time it gets on the track. One option is the oil-water cooler/heater off the 309, which is a sensible middle-of-the-road option if the car is going to get regular road use.

Another option is to put a Mocal oil-air filter in, yes, and as you say there are plenty of kits around to do this. As for the thermostat? Well, I don't bother with one, but then my car is a competition vehicle only and we always go through the procedure of warming it up before giving it the beans. If it was purely a track car I'd suggest similar, but you mention it as a weekend toy - which makes me think you should probably fit one for those cold winter days. If you think it's not going to see much action in such weather, you'd be safe without one. My thinking was, I can always blank it off with some cardboard if I start rallying in Sweden in the middle of winter ;-)

Anthony

Suck it and see without - if the oil gets too hot on track then fit one, otherwise don't bother.

For road use I really wouldn't bother, particularly with the standard air-oil cooler - it's ineffective and unnecessery in my opinion.

jonnie205

i have seen oil get hot on tarck but thats only with 16v's driven very very hard, i would use a good quality oil like millers 10w 40 semi motorsport oil and you will be fine, keep it topped up to max too

brumster
For road use I really wouldn't bother, particularly with the standard air-oil cooler - it's ineffective and unnecessery in my opinion.

Definately agreed :( !

Atari Boy

Okay, thanks, that has saved me £130.

Jonny

Sign in to follow this