• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paulh

Torsion Bar

paulh

Adjusting the height of the rear beam today and ended up stripping the thread in the offset washer end of one of the torsion bars.

Going to borrow an M8 tap tomorrow from work and try to re tap it out (clear the original threads).

If this does'nt work has anyone re-drilled and re-tapped a larger thread into the torsion bar ie M10.

(I have searched for this but cannot find an answer).

Many Thanks Paulh.

welshpug

I cant imagine it being a problem to enlarge the hole, just make sure you drill the hole deep enough and that you dont force the tap as it bottoms out.

Ideally you need to replace the bolt with another countersunk one, so the washer would need its hole enlarging a little as well.

paulh
I cant imagine it being a problem to enlarge the hole, just make sure you drill the hole deep enough and that you dont force the tap as it bottoms out.

Ideally you need to replace the bolt with another countersunk one, so the washer would need its hole enlarging a little as well.

Thanks Welshpug - will give it a go later.

petert

If you manage to drill it, make sure you use high speed steel taps (HSS), not plain carbon steel.

M@tt

out of interest how did you strip the thread? was it using a home made puller ie socket and bolt as per the site guide or were you using a slide hammer?

paulh
out of interest how did you strip the thread? was it using a home made puller ie socket and bolt as per the site guide or were you using a slide hammer?

Came to unscrew the offset washer end and the bolt came out with no thread on it :D .

The thread in the torsion bar was half missing as though the last person had overtightened the screw stripping both threads.

The screw wasn't very tight to start with which was a bit of a worry :)

Managed to release the torsion bar from the trailing arm by hitting it from one end then the other - soon came out ok.

Have since drilled the hole deeper using a 7mm drill and re-tapped it out again 8mm as it was. Now using a longer bolt to secure the offset washer.

It will all be covered in plenty of Copaslip when it all goes back together thats for sure.

Was thinking about getting a slide hammer for future use in removing the bars - now I've loosened them all up and greased them should be a piece of cake next time!!!

Thanks for the replies - PaulH

Sign in to follow this