• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Whats The Difference In These Clutches

wardy18

I have 2 clutches in my parts boxes, one which is brand new and another which has done very minimal miles looking at its condition BUT the clutch plates have differences!!

The one with minimal miles is the one with 4 larger Red springs in the plate

The new one is the one with 2 smaller springs in the plate

Why do they have different spring in them, can you tell me what the difference is for?!

Many Thanx

Simon

Edited by wardy18

C_W

That's normal to see between different manufacterers, as long as the clutch plate diameter and offset is right then it'll be ok. The springs act like a damper as the clutch is taken up. Without them you'll get bad judder or aggressive clutch action. The strength of the springs can make a difference on how the clutch is taken up (stronger tends to make it take up faster), it's difficult to tell which one would be stronger, I'd guess the 6 springs on (although the 4 spring one seems to have bigger diameter springs).

welshpug

they both look like Valeo clutches, could you post the part numbers and I might be able to see what they were originaly intended for (my guess is that the 6 springed one is for a diesel?)

tom_m

the one with 4 springs is double sprung too, i've got an mi cluth like that

wardy18

thanx for the replies

ill check the part numbers later and post them

thanx for the help

Sign in to follow this