• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

Running On Three Cylinders

maturin23

Hi all,

I whipped off the inlet manifold to have a fiddle with the starter and alternator connections as the GTI standard click,click starting issue has got worse.

All would have been fine had I not tried to use every last minute of available light yesterday evening when I was putting everything back together.

I mistakenly plugged one of the injector leads into the the feed from the ignition system (doubt that's the correct term, but it's the thingy strapped to the top of the inlet manifold) and plugged the grey plug into one of the injectors. I tried to start the car, heard some whirring as soon as i turned the key, and immediately switched off.

I spotted the mistake just now - connected it all up as it should have been - now I'm gutted to find that the car is idling like a VW Beetle - that injector plug isn't triggering whichever injector I connect it to - swapped the leads around a bit and it's the same with another injector.

What have I done? How can I fix it? Given it's a batch-type injection can I bodge in the short-term it by splicing the non-functioning lead into one of the others?

Just kicking myself for continuing last night for the sake of 2 or 3 minutes this morning.

BTW this is a standard 1.9 Mi16 engine.

:wub:

Edited by maturin23

Alastairh

Have you looked at the pins in the plug to see if they've pushed through?

I've done that before :wub:

maturin23

Pins looked fine, Alastair...

jackherer

IIRC you have a 405 loom which (again, IIRC) has a fuse for the injectors by the two relays but I think its just one so you'll get no injectors at all if that blows.

Therefore the only thing I can guess has happened is an injector driver has been fried in the ECU by driving the idle control valve. However I've accidentally shorted injector wires directly before and the ECU dies immediately but reboots fine when its power is cycled so if that has happened you were very unlucky.

Its worth taking the rubber boots off the injector plugs and checking the wires haven't snapped as I have seen that a few times as they get very brittle due to heat. If they look ok then buzz the injector wires through with a multimeter, if they are all continuous as far as the ECU plug then try another ECU.

I don't think you could run two injectors from one plug as the impedance would be wrong.

maturin23

Yep- you recall correctly!

Thanks matey - I'll dig out the multimeter and have a go.

This weather/lack of sunlight is a real pain - not going to get a chance to fix it until next weekend....

GLPoomobile

I was going to suggest checking with a meter, as at least it would give you an idea of if you were getting the right signal at the plug, which if so, would presumably mean the fault was in the connection between the plug and injector.

If you need to borrow my ECU, you are more than welcome, as mine is not in use. Not sure if it's a 2 or 3 row though, but it wouldn't take long to find out.

maturin23

Cheers Steve - I'll be in touch if I can't find the problem with the multimeter.

Just SO irritated as it was running just fine before I started messing - <belm>

GLPoomobile

Tell me about it! That's the scary thing about all the messing about I've done with mine. I reckon I've found the few very simple culprits to the problems I was having, and when I put it all back together I hope it will be sorted, But the risk is, because I'm going out of my way to do things the way I want it along the way, that I may actually unwittingly introduce more problems. And then I'll have the fun of fault finding again :D

But at least it's NOT a project :)

maturin23

Phew- all running fine.

I checked the injector/ECU continuity and injector/relay continuity - all fine.

Put the injector leads back on - fired up on three cylinders :blush: had a waggle of the plug and suddenly picked up on all four :wacko:

I tried waggling them last weekend and didn;t help - wondering if by unplugging the battery (which I did this morning) has reset the ecu.

Big thanks to JackHerer for helping me with some diagrams, and the Steve for the offer of a spare ECU.

GLPoomobile

Nice one. Glad to hear it's sorted :wacko: It's far too cold outside at the moment to be buggering around fault finding.

jackherer

Excellent :wacko:

The plugs are rubbish, I remember a volvo I used to have that had bosch management but overengineered plugs and wiring that were in different league to peugeot stuff. Have you driven it yet? It might work loose in use...

dani959

The pins on the plugs get corroded and the contacts start to act a little weirdly (if this word even exists...).

Try to clean the surface of the pins with a very small brush or with a screwdriver tip, it usually helps!

maturin23

I took Tom out to the park and got it warmed up - ("I love Daddy's car!") - no problems so far!

Sign in to follow this