• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Smokey Xu

steve@cornwall

My auto 205 has failed it's mot only for emitting smoke at idle - only does it once the fan has cut in, which it doesn't even come close to on the road, just whilst it idles for the test ;) It blitzed the actual emissions test - CO = 0.96% HC = 166 ppm and I'm damned if I'll see it as a parts doner just for this.

I changed the oil and filter and gave it a 20 mile rag (as much as you can one of these - feels a little unstable above 90 , sorry I meant 60 B) ) and no smoking at all - leave it tick over for 10 mins and off she goes!

I suspect the carb. as the auto choke components are decidedly knackered, so have sourced an early BX 1.9 GT carb (webber 34) to replace the weber 36 that seems to be a specific part to the 1.6 pug ONLY and am hoping to be able to transfer the kickdown components. They're both single choke webers from an XU and , as listed on Webcon, share a common gasket service kit. Anyone knoiw anything about these carbs? Esp. if they may indeed be interchangeable. Elderly pug carbs aren't easy to come by these days, and a new one at 300 quid isn't really an option here.

What's got me, though, is WTF is burning to give (greyish) smoke,when the CO and HC are so low and why only when hot?

Apart from this, it passed the mot without advisories even, all I've done is change the rusted backbox

pip470

Hi mate sounds to me like your valve guide seals are leaking, They normally smoke when left at idle and usually on start up too. I think your pointing to it running rich which would be more black than grey. Ive never had one of my cars on the emmision test with leaky seals so wouldnt know how it would effect the co or hc, i would of thought it would of. Unless its actually steam coming from the exhaust and then you have a head gasket leak. See what others think.

Phill

Stu71
My auto 205 has failed it's mot only for emitting smoke at idle - only does it once the fan has cut in, which it doesn't even come close to on the road, just whilst it idles for the test :) It blitzed the actual emissions test - CO = 0.96% HC = 166 ppm and I'm damned if I'll see it as a parts doner just for this.

I changed the oil and filter and gave it a 20 mile rag (as much as you can one of these - feels a little unstable above 90 , sorry I meant 60 :blink: ) and no smoking at all - leave it tick over for 10 mins and off she goes!

I suspect the carb. as the auto choke components are decidedly knackered, so have sourced an early BX 1.9 GT carb (webber 34) to replace the weber 36 that seems to be a specific part to the 1.6 pug ONLY and am hoping to be able to transfer the kickdown components. They're both single choke webers from an XU and , as listed on Webcon, share a common gasket service kit. Anyone knoiw anything about these carbs? Esp. if they may indeed be interchangeable. Elderly pug carbs aren't easy to come by these days, and a new one at 300 quid isn't really an option here.

What's got me, though, is WTF is burning to give (greyish) smoke,when the CO and HC are so low and why only when hot?

Apart from this, it passed the mot without advisories even, all I've done is change the rusted backbox

Just a quicky blue smoke is oil, white is coolant, black is fueling, have you whipped the plugs out after a run, then leave it idling and check again? normally valve seals if gone will be really bad when you start it up as the oil runs down them when left, then clear up a bit when run. air filter clean ?

Stu

steve@cornwall
Just a quicky blue smoke is oil, white is coolant, black is fueling, have you whipped the plugs out after a run, then leave it idling and check again? normally valve seals if gone will be really bad when you start it up as the oil runs down them when left, then clear up a bit when run. air filter clean ?

Stu

Starting up is very clean, virtually no smoke - rev the nuts off it after a couple of minutes - still clean. get to temp. and smokey rides again!Plugs are all lovely beige ish - air filter is brand new. breathers are all clear (still smokes with no air filter on carb - so crankcase vent to air)

I picked up the ageing BX 1.9 carb today which has apparently been lying around unused for years and didn't look too healthy :( But the little auto now has a manual choke Fitted to original carb - proper weber jobbie, so all the original worn linkage has also been junked - and still smokes.

Tomorrow's mission is to remove the manifold and re-seal, particularly around the manifold waterways (I've had problems here on gtis) If that doesn't work I'll build up the BX carb and try that. Then try running to very hot with no coolant :blink::) (can't leak coolant to bores if it aint got any :) )

Failing that I guess I'll have to chuck in a 1.6 gti lump with the carb B) Think it gets bigger valves and a better cam then? and poss higher compression (still got a week to get it back for re-test)

PS the girl who wants this car has already christened it "Bertie" so it will have to get fixed! I keep hearing Penelope Keith saying "Oh! dirty Bertie!" from to the manor born. This car is finally driving me mad B):D

Failing all else, anyone need a near mint topaz auto bonnet B)

danpug

Are the auto pistons low comp then?

welshpug

I say stick a gti lump in it for her :)

steve@cornwall
I say stick a gti lump in it for her :(

It's really screaming out for a MI on 45s (no fuel return to tank and ignition only loom!) If anyone wants to donate the engine and carbs, I'll throw in the brakes and drop it 60mm on a set of 15" :)

Seriously, though, someone must have an idea? Help this young lady into a 205. This was supposed to be a bit of fun (there's no profit making involved) and although it is enjoyable trying to figure it out, it's taking a lot more time than envisioned :wub: mind you, doesn't it always?

danpug

Sorry i cant help steve but do you have any idea what compression the autos are?

steve@cornwall
Sorry i cant help steve but do you have any idea what compression the autos are?

I think I follow your thinking Pssssst! Not sure, but only 80 bhp so prob. not a lot. I guess you've seen the activa at Johnnie's :wub:

(Edit as I found it on t'internet 9.35 :1 )

Edited by steve@cornwall

Stu71
I think I follow your thinking Pssssst! Not sure, but only 80 bhp so prob. not a lot. I guess you've seen the activa at Johnnie's :D

(Edit as I found it on t'internet 9.35 :1 )

How do, just asked my mate what the grey smoke could be and he thinks its coolant thats causing it, he had a clio that did it and found that it was using coolant (not a lot) did a head gasket and that cured it.

Stu

steve@cornwall
How do, just asked my mate what the grey smoke could be and he thinks its coolant thats causing it, he had a clio that did it and found that it was using coolant (not a lot) did a head gasket and that cured it.

Stu

I'm thinking you're right about the coolant (hoping?) I've removed the manifold today- although the nuts were not very tight, the manifold itself took a fair bit of persuasion to release from the head. The gasket was stuck solidly to both sides, but seemed rather softer around the water ways. I ran out of light to see if the smoke has improved. I'll prob. try running it with the cap off the expansion bottle tomorrow. I'm also having naughty thoughts of getting the temp. gauge to tell porkies ( earth it through a potentiometer) and take it back for re-test (only partial :) ) cold :D

steve@cornwall

I'm thinking you're right about the coolant (hoping?) I've removed the manifold today- although the nuts were not very tight, the manifold itself took a fair bit of persuasion to release from the head. The gasket was stuck solidly to both sides, but seemed rather softer around the water ways. I ran out of light to see if the smoke has improved.

This sorted it :):D;) Blitzed the re-test :D :D :D :D :D

Sign in to follow this