• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fabian

Fuel Pump Relay?

fabian

was just wandering if any one could help? my car is still cutting out intermittently loosing all revs, electrics stay on, and is jerky as it picks up again. I have changed the ignition amp but it's still happening. reading some of the other topics i believe it could be the fuel pump relay!? just spoken to peugeot and they apparently only have one for XU9 engine costing over £200!!! is it the same relay as the 1.6 ?

Anthony

When it cuts out, does the rev counter still read, or does it drop to zero even with the engine still turning (ie if you're coasting along in gear)? If the rev counter is dropping out, check the thin wire coming from the dizzy and the condition of the pins inside the yellow three pin plug on the end of it.

Generally in my experience fuel pump relays (also called tachymetric relay) generally work or don't work, rather than spluttering in and out of operation as you drive.... and yes, it's the same relay on all 1.6 and 1.9 non-CAT GTi engines (the CAT engines use a different relay)

fabian

spot on cheers for the quick reply, will go and investigate now!! Yes rev counter drops right down to zero and if you plant your foot it hesitates then comes back with power. with the clutch out.

When it cuts out, does the rev counter still read, or does it drop to zero even with the engine still turning (ie if you're coasting along in gear)? If the rev counter is dropping out, check the thin wire coming from the dizzy and the condition of the pins inside the yellow three pin plug on the end of it.

Generally in my experience fuel pump relays (also called tachymetric relay) generally work or don't work, rather than spluttering in and out of operation as you drive.... and yes, it's the same relay on all 1.6 and 1.9 non-CAT GTi engines (the CAT engines use a different relay)

Guest jpward99
spot on cheers for the quick reply, will go and investigate now!! Yes rev counter drops right down to zero and if you plant your foot it hesitates then comes back with power. with the clutch out.

Yup, just spent 4 weeks trying to solve a similar problem myself, if you've already ruled out the amp then try the dizzy/fly lead from it. I bypassed the fly lead wiring on my dizzy without luck, then eventually changed the dizzy itself and it was sorted. Try a known good unit first before splashing out on a new/refurbed one though as it could be many things. Good luck.

fabian

seems to be solved cleaned the yellow three pin plug and it hasn't done it since!! cheers for your help.

Sign in to follow this