• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madant_uk

Brake Line Flaring Tools?

madant_uk

Does anyone know of anywere that sell these, i have seen a few places like Rally Design but they seem quite expensive at about £75 and was wondering is there like a cheaper but as effective tool that can do the same job to the same standard, because obviously you get what you pay for in most cases, hope someone can help

thanks

brianthemagical

please say it wasn't a rolson one. they are gash, and a waste of £7. the clampy thing doesn't have roundholes, it's that bad.

dani959

There are some cheap (DRAPER) ones at Amazon. I got mine from there and worked a charm! ;)

jord294

hi.

i recently bought a brake pipe flaring kit off e-bay as a 'but it now' for £30.

made by 'laser' and even came with pipe cutter

cybernck

from what i've seen, cheap ones can only do copper pipes, not OE steel ones.

you may want to take a look at some high quality tools at http://www.toolsandhardware.co.uk :).

thanks.

Alastairh

We will sort it Madant when im down sorting this loom.

I've got use of a Snap on one, its so simple, its quicker than pulling a pint :)

Sandy

The posher the better definitely! Cheap ones are inconsistent, leading to much wastage and frustration.

Simes

If you're replacing the 205 pipes then you could by a ready flared kit from Automec?

Alastairh
The posher the better definitely! Cheap ones are inconsistent, leading to much wastage and frustration.

LOL. You can tell thats a man talking from experience.

f***ing hate brake pipes :wub:

DaveW

Yeah you can buy pre made kits for the 205.

Jrod

It took me about 30- 40 flares before I could do them first time, just spent a while practising and now they seal 99.9% of the time. :wub:

djinuk

my friend does them for free on snap on tool, but ive seen kits to do them but they seem useless

davev

only ever used the cam type that you have to stick in a vice. works well on all pipes and can be used under car if you get someone to hold it in a large monky wrench

Guest smokinslim

The real cheapo kits on ebay are best left on ebay, they dont even grip the pipe tight enough to flare it properly, it slides through the clamp instead. If anyone wants one its theirs for the cost of postage :D

Next one i got was about £28 posted, again from ebay. Much better piece of kit but still room for improvement. It'll even flare the cars original pipe.

Rippthrough
It took me about 30- 40 flares before I could do them first time, just spent a while practising and now they seal 99.9% of the time. :(

On a cheap tool?

The old mopar tools are the best of the hand-helds - even an idiot can get a 99% seal rate, and someone with experience can get them spot on perfect centre every time, even in stainless steel, this rash of cheap ebay g-clamp tools are s*ite.

Edited by Rippthrough

Jrod

Mines Clarke.

Problem I had was judging how much pipe to put through the clamp, to short and it didnt flare, to much and it went pissed.

I can do them fine now. :(

Rippthrough
Mines Clarke.

Problem I had was judging how much pipe to put through the clamp, to short and it didnt flare, to much and it went pissed.

I can do them fine now. :D

See, mine has an indicator for that so it's spot on every time, apart from with stainless, which it wasn't designed for to be fair.

Anthony

I use the Laser one mentioned near the top of the thread, and once I got the hang of it, I've had no problems at all and I've redone the complete brakelines on three cars with it now and never had to redo a single union :D

Anthony
Yeah you can buy pre made kits for the 205.

Only problem is that they're useless unless you're running a completely setup

If you're running a disk braked beam on a 1.6 for example the rear lines are wrong.

If you want to ditch the compensators, it's a faff with the Automec type kits as they're precut for compensators.

If you want to convert the 1.9 diagonal split system to a front-back (like I usually do) then again, the pipes are all wrong.

If you want to run an adjustable brake bias valve.... yeah, you get the idea.

It's also much cheaper doing it yourself (about a quarter of the price I reckon) but admittedly does take longer.

nick

I got mine from Machine Mart, £20 or so inc' a pipe cutter, I've done loads of flares with it and never ever had one leak.

To get the correct length of tube, use the small pin (that slips inside the tube) on the end of the mandrel as a guide, hold it outside the pipe and leave the same length of pipe poking out of the clamp. Also, the end has to be absolutely square, so use the pipe cutters not a hacksaw.

Nick

Sign in to follow this