• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Big 'thumbs Up' For A Xantia Turbo Lower Engine Mount

Super Josh

a bit of history........

I used to run one of the solid rubber Group N style mounts on my Mi. Great mount for reducing engine movement and drive train shunt was no existent :( Only problem was the dash felt like it was about to drop into your lap on idle, not much fun in a daily driver :)

So I changed the mount for a new standard one, dash stayed where it should, but quite a lot of drive train shunt (which is horrible on a standard 8V with clockwork Jetronic and the TPS switching the fuelling on and off :P ). And under heavy acceleration the exhaust manifold (the long Maniflow style one) would knock against the underside of the car, not good.

So to the halfway house compromise, enter the Xantia Turbo engine mount, which has a different centre piece to the standard 205 one. I fitted it the same way round as the standard mount, with the thick rib on the rubber running front to back on the car.

IMG_2619.jpg

Only slightly more vibration than the standard one, hardly any drive train shunt and no more knocking exhaust. Only a shade over 11 quid, with PSOOC discount (10%), part number 1809 21 :D

Josh

Baz

Same as what you get if you ask for a TD mount, pretty good IMO too! :)

Anthony

They do work very well on a daily-driver type car, and are good value compared to Group N mounts :)

Reminds me that I need to buy one of these to replace the knackered lower mount on my ZX actually...

C_W

Josh, glad you've shown the part no. in the pic! :)

I thought the original fitting is with the main rubber section sitting vertically (top to bottom)?

Super Josh
Josh, glad you've shown the part no. in the pic! :)

I thought the original fitting is with the main rubber section sitting vertically (top to bottom)?

:P

Chris, don't know if they fitted them in a random orientation, but the one I took off was horizontal

Baz, maybe I meant TD. As that would certainly have the Torque to warrant a stiffer mount.

Josh

Baz
:P

Chris, don't know if they fitted them in a random orientation, but the one I took off was horizontal

Baz, maybe I meant TD. As that would certainly have the Torque to warrant a stiffer mount.

Josh

It could be fitted to both i suppose really. It's definitely the same part number as i gave you as a TD one a few months back anyhoo!! :)

I like them, uber cheap is good!! :(

jackherer

That does sound like a sensible compromise, I have tried a solid metal 'bush' and it was largely the same as a group n bush so they are a bit OTT.

yorkshirekowboy
a bit of history........

I used to run one of the solid rubber Group N style mounts on my Mi. Great mount for reducing engine movement and drive train shunt was no existent :) Only problem was the dash felt like it was about to drop into your lap on idle, not much fun in a daily driver :)

So I changed the mount for a new standard one, dash stayed where it should, but quite a lot of drive train shunt (which is horrible on a standard 8V with clockwork Jetronic and the TPS switching the fuelling on and off :wacko: ). And under heavy acceleration the exhaust manifold (the long Maniflow style one) would knock against the underside of the car, not good.

So to the halfway house compromise, enter the Xantia Turbo engine mount, which has a different centre piece to the standard 205 one. I fitted it the same way round as the standard mount, with the thick rib on the rubber running front to back on the car.

IMG_2619.jpg

Only slightly more vibration than the standard one, hardly any drive train shunt and no more knocking exhaust. Only a shade over 11 quid, with PSOOC discount (10%), part number 1809 21 :D

Josh

think i have got to invest in one of these for my Mi16 :unsure: , was goign to buy group n, but ill try this. :)

KRISKARRERA

What's involved in changing the bottom mount? Is it a driveshafts off job?

Alastairh
What's involved in changing the bottom mount? Is it a driveshafts off job?

Yes. Drive shaft out, unbolt the mount (4 M10 bolts) and press the old+new one out and in.

Sounds good Josh, i remember we were talking about this earlier in the year at one of the South meets :)

Out of intrest, what top mount (drivers inner wing) do you run?

Al :)

Super Josh
Out of intrest, what top mount (drivers inner wing) do you run?

I running standard top mounts (drivers side and gearbox) Al.

Josh

christopher

Are all these mounts basically the same size? Even for TU engined cars maybe?

saveloy

Josh mate, you're ageing too quickly. :)

Super Josh
Are all these mounts basically the same size? Even for TU engined cars maybe?

Chris, don't know as I couldn't find the dimensions on the parts CD for the TU mount. But the XU one is 70mm in diameter.

Josh mate, you're ageing too quickly. :)

:D to you too Kyri, I've been old for ages, my car is just starting to catch up with me.

Sign in to follow this