• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Diagonal Split Braking System?

vern

I thought that the 205 had a split braking system, so if you lose pressure/fluid at one wheel there is still enough braking force to stop the car?.

I speak from experience as returning from picking up an ARB off Ash, I was in the middle of overtaking, a lorry when oncoming traffic forced me to try and brake and pull back behind the lorry, I hit the brakes, and nothing, pedal to the floor lucky for me it was a wide road and we managed to get 3 abreast. The only braking I had was to use the handbrake.

What had happened is the front flexible hose was rubbing on the inside edge of the wheel, and had worn through!!!.

There is a leson to be learnt here, so be careful and check your car over.

sutol

Having driven many cars with a split braking system, mostly oldish vehicles, I can honestly say that NONE of the split systems were of any use when fluid was lost via a leak.

Some braking effort is retained but only until the resevoir empties which is very quickly with a flexi failure.

not a lot of use then :)

I'm sure there are reasons why it should work but in my experience it doesn't.

welshpug

the 205 sure does have a split system, the 1.9 diagonally and the 1.6 front/back IIRC.

jerseypug

mine did the same when i split the rear pipe on the rear beam arm. pedal to the floor and the hand brake pointing to the ceiling as it is hydrolic. hit a bank without too much damage but lost confidence in the brakes after that.

brianthemagical

isn't the resevoir spilt?

sutol

Never seen a split resevoir, although it is a good idea.

Could be divided by a plastic wall to conserve fluid in an emergency.

all the best ideas on here :)

Edited by sutol

Guest smokinslim

Yup, supposedly so if one half is empty for some reason the other half of the system should still work.

jerseypug

when my pipe split, i still had fluid in both parts of the resevoir and after pumping the pedal i got some brakes back. too late by then though.

Jrod

That's why you should always have cables there just as a backup. :)

When a hose burst on me I didn't have much of a problem stopping but I was only doing 35~ (it obviouslu pulled quite hard as 1 calipers was doing nout)

pip470

My master cylinder failed all together whilst aproaching a round about quite fast which in that case didnt matter if it was a split system or not, Have changed it now so I know it was definatly that. Thank god (peugeot) that its cable to the discs at the back.

large
That's why you should always have cables there just as a backup. :)

When a hose burst on me I didn't have much of a problem stopping but I was only doing 35~ (it obviouslu pulled quite hard as 1 calipers was doing nout)

I thought you had :) to have a secondary breaking system for the mot

jackherer
I thought you had :) to have a secondary breaking system for the mot

I don't think you need an MOT in Jersey...

jerseypug

there is no mot in jersey but the scrutineers check for cables as i think they are legally required. mine had cables but not adjusted as much as they should have been. i have another 205 that braked very well, i removed a rear caliper then took it for a slow drive in a field to park it up and it had very little brakeing and no hand brake.

Sign in to follow this