• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tonycj

How Far Do I Drop The Rear?

tonycj

having seen on ebay springs to drop the car 25-30-35-50-60 mm, how am i supposed to know how many splines at the rear to drop the car to match the drop at the front??

This is realy flexing me!!!

All relpies greatfully recieved!

Many Thanks,

Tony.

Jrod

If you do it the proper way and remove the torsion bars you can set it to any height you want. :)

pete1986

Dropping the rear by 1 spline is the equivilant of 35 or 40mm iirc. Have a search mate, there is tons of threads on suspension - everything u need to know.

PS. i have some never used -40mm Pi springs in the garage, and some used but good working order jamex shocks. PM me if your interested

josh1990

Get ya Tape measure out lol

welshpug
If you do it the proper way and remove the torsion bars you can set it to any height you want. :)

ditto, IMO the sills need to be as flat as possible, they look wrong pointing skywards!

also doing it as above means you dont have to duisturb the Anti roll bar or the bearings, though If you dont nkow if its been rebuilt recently you might be better off stripping it right down before even thinking of lowering it :)

Guest smokinslim

You can't take the rated lowering amount for given springs as gospel anyway, especially on a CJ. Most springs prob don't even list the CJ. I'm using -30mm springs that dropped my front end more than a different brand's supposed -40mm springs did. All 205 springs will fit by the way. Best bet is to get some springs, fit them, and if you're happy with the ride height then adjust the rear to match.

I notice you're thinking of getting bigger wheels too. 16x7.5s on a lowered CJ (or any other base model shell) will definately require the arches to be butchered, and wider arches of some description too to cover the rims. This is something i'm working on when i've finished sorting out everything else (i'm only on 15x7s) as i have the same problem. Standard 1.9 alloys (15x6) with 195s fitted will work on a slightly lowered CJ if you trim the folded in lip only of the rear arches, lowered too much and the tyres will rub inside the arches badly with any weight in the back.

Sign in to follow this