• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
carbers205

Oops

carbers205

Hi guys, nothing serious i hope, whipped my head off today but spilt a bit of the old coolant in the cylinders as i was doing it.

Got it all mopped out as best as possible, just hoping it wont have any adverse effects when i stick everything back together?

Cheers

Andy

cybernck

if unsure, first crank it without spark plugs in the head so that any remaining water get blown out :).

DamirGTI

Hi !

Spray some WD-40 in between the pistons/cylinders ... and lightly oil the gap between the pistons and cylinder liner walls after - if you've split the coolant inside and leave this dismantled too long without oiling the gap the piston rings can stuck/rust up/stick up to the cylinder walls ... :)

Cheers ! :rolleyes:

Damir

carbers205

Excellent, thanks for your help

lagonda

Whilst you've got the head off, & making sure the liners are firmly clamped down, I'd turn the engine over by hand & wipe away any moisture left on each downstroke with paper towel. Keep doing that until no moisture left. Then oil as Damir suggests.

I couldn't find the time to completely dismantle mine when the head gasket blew. When I finally got round to it 4 months later, I was mortified to discover half a cup of water in each bore! The bores WERE damaged by rust, mostly removed through honing, but one was so bad I needed to buy a new barrel. Don't think you've much to worry about if you get it all running again fairly quickly.

One point ... check your OIL level hasn't increased! If it has it means some of your coolant has drained into the sump, in which case you can probably evaporate it off through normal running, provided you clear out the mayonnaise, otherwise best to change the oil.

carbers205

Its actually on an xu10 not an xu9 so the liners are fixed.

I did crank it over by hand and dry off as well as it happens and now its got a light coating of wd-40 Im fairly confident it'll be fine now. Wont be long til i get it all bolted back together in any case.

As for the oil, yeah Id figured there may have been some coolant fall down there but i guess it was time for changing it anyway!

Cheers

Sign in to follow this