• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chadney123

Shaking At 80mph

chadney123

When i hit around 80MPH in my 205 GTI, its starts shaking and vibrating the steering wheel?

Any ideas how to help?

Many Thanks Pablo

Edited by chadney123

jeremy

Can this be overcome with speed, if so could be a driveshaft, or wheel balance. If not then perhaps brake discs, as had a similar problem with my Kia Sedona and this turned out to be exactly that.

Edited by jeremy

mickie

sounds like you're wheels need ballancing

josh1990

As said ballancing or wheel bearings, Worth a go.

Shouldnt be anything to serious if it only kicks in a certain speed.

Josh

24seven

if it's wheel balancing then it might not be that out of balance. otherwise it could be driveshaft/gearbox related or steering related. does it get better/worse at the same speed under braking?

yorkshirekowboy
When i hit around 80MPH in my 205 GTI, its starts shaking and vibrating the steering wheel?

Any ideas how to help?

Many Thanks Pablo

hello

i think its will be your tracking!!!! check for tyre wear on the edge of tyre, if theres a lip when you rub the out grip edge, then tracking is out!!

Simes

Driveshaft on mine.

Also a change from Group N top mount rubbers to standard calmed it down quite a lot.

jackherer
hello

i think its will be your tracking!!!! check for tyre wear on the edge of tyre, if theres a lip when you rub the out grip edge, then tracking is out!!

Incorrect tracking doesn't cause vibration, even if its extremely wrong.

timmsy19

do you have the standard wheels on?

if so it sounds more like balancing.

if you have after market wheels the center bore could be wrong causing the wheel the move up and down while its turning. if this is the case you will need some spigot rings to sort it out before the wheels bots come loose and your wheel falls off.

almost happened on my clio when someone told me the center bore was the correct size and it actually wasnt

Edited by timmsy19

chadney123

Has the standard wheels on it, i will get the balancing done. Had the car checked over and no problems where found with the drive shafts.

Many Thanks

projectpug

Take it to a reputable tyre place and get them balanced

saveloy

And then fit a strut brace. It will make the world of difference in this respect.

By the way, what do you think of Scarlett Johansson?

Simes
Has the standard wheels on it, i will get the balancing done. Had the car checked over and no problems where found with the drive shafts.

Many Thanks

You can fit brand new ones (cheapos) and they still vibrate.

5150maxie

imo tracking and wheel balancing as i had the same problem.also i have just got some new front and rear tyres and she handles like shes on rails as a proper gti should be :rolleyes:

ccgoose

was the tracking on mine and uneven wre on the tyres :D

toddydal

Many Thanks

toddydal

just go faster than 80mph,if the steering wheel stops shaken at 90 id say u need wheels balanced,mine used to shake at 60,wen i went to 65-70 it stopped,got my wheels balanced and it was ok,just dont crash the car for fks sake coz its me who told you to go faster lol

Sign in to follow this