• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Starter Motor

Ethos

Hi guys,

Got the usual starting problems, had to whack the starter motor with a piece of wood/hammer this evening to get it going.

Is it worth just getting a different one ... or is it servicable?

Thanks, worried about my girlfriend getting stuck somewhere.

steve@cornwall
Hi guys,

Got the usual starting problems, had to whack the starter motor with a piece of wood/hammer this evening to get it going.

Is it worth just getting a different one ... or is it servicable?

Thanks, worried about my girlfriend getting stuck somewhere.

I'll see what I've got, but my choice would be to get a diesel starter motor from the scrappy (306 or 406 fit IIRC) turns over MUCH faster

Ethos
I'll see what I've got, but my choice would be to get a diesel starter motor from the scrappy (306 or 406 fit IIRC) turns over MUCH faster

Oooh! Thanks mate... See what you've got but if not I'll take a look down the scrappy ;)

Out and about this weekend?

Me and the girlfriend had a good play on the way back, she's getting more confident in the 205!!

Redtop

Is it not around £40 for a new one from pug? Not too bad price wise imo and then if you put a new one on then you know what you have. You run the risk of a 2nd hand one packing in quickly too.

steve@cornwall
Oooh! Thanks mate... See what you've got but if not I'll take a look down the scrappy ;)

Out and about this weekend?

Me and the girlfriend had a good play on the way back, she's getting more confident in the 205!!

Got a 205 auto to get ready for mot - so be pretty well between home and the garage all weekend - all good fun

Baz
Is it not around £40 for a new one from pug? Not too bad price wise imo and then if you put a new one on then you know what you have. You run the risk of a 2nd hand one packing in quickly too.

Pretty sure an OE one is more than £40!!

Ethos
Pretty sure an OE one is more than £40!!
I think more like £85-100 from Pug.It sometime's does the "tick" when trying to start the car but after 2-3 goes it starts. Just guess it's getting alot worse now. It's twice in a couple of weeks it done it now, maybe the colder weather.
Got a 205 auto to get ready for mot - so be pretty well between home and the garage all weekend - all good fun
Sweet! What's your plan for it?

Sandy

The later ones from 306 406 etc are smaller, lighter, better etc, just need to chop off the spade connector from the 46 wire and replace it with a 6mm ring.

flipperthebushkangaroo

does a diesel starter motor fit without any modifying apart from the wires?

sorry to stick my nose in

steve@cornwall
I think more like £85-100 from Pug.It sometime's does the "tick" when trying to start the car but after 2-3 goes it starts. Just guess it's getting alot worse now. It's twice in a couple of weeks it done it now, maybe the colder weather.Sweet! What's your plan for it?

Found a couple of starters! The auto is for a girl my wife works with who's only licenced for an auto - I knew the car, done some work on it over the last couple years and it would prob. been scrapped when the retired driver gave up driving. Good deed for the year :wacko: Picked the girl up from the train station, had a walk around with a fag (she's a non-smoker - aren't I considerate) and what should I see next to the vet's? :lol: Tell her to park it facing DOWN the hill 'till it's sorted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ethos
Found a couple of starters! The auto is for a girl my wife works with who's only licenced for an auto - I knew the car, done some work on it over the last couple years and it would prob. been scrapped when the retired driver gave up driving. Good deed for the year :wacko: Picked the girl up from the train station, had a walk around with a fag (she's a non-smoker - aren't I considerate) and what should I see next to the vet's? :lol: Tell her to park it facing DOWN the hill 'till it's sorted :lol: :lol: :lol:

Found a couple of starters, they working?!! Can chuck some cash your way if you've got one spare. Would like to get the bloody thing sorted for her (moaning again!).

Good deed for the year indeed mate, you got much to do on it?

Def gonna face down the hill from now on, I told her we'd push it down in reverse... spin it around on the main road and i'd push her down when it wouldn't start but she wasn't keen :lol:

steve@cornwall
Found a couple of starters, they working?!! Can chuck some cash your way if you've got one spare. Would like to get the bloody thing sorted for her (moaning again!).

Good deed for the year indeed mate, you got much to do on it?

Def gonna face down the hill from now on, I told her we'd push it down in reverse... spin it around on the main road and i'd push her down when it wouldn't start but she wasn't keen :)

Both working when removed (can't remember which gtis they came off, though) I'd try the alternator first as it was a bit suspect anyway, wasn't it? Should be able to sort you out with both, once I've checked the ones I have are ok and you know if you need a starter at all.

Auto just needs the back box sorting -0 which now looks like it may just be blowing from the olive - then off for mot. having an issue with the auto choke which is possibly an airlock in the coolant system- oh, and fit an ariel and a 205 badge. Not bad for 70 quid!!!

Edited by steve@cornwall

Ethos
Both working when removed (can't remember which gtis they came off, though) I'd try the alternator first as it was a bit suspect anyway, wasn't it? Should be able to sort you out with both, once I've checked the ones I have are ok and you know if you need a starter at all.

Auto just needs the back box sorting -0 which now looks like it may just be blowing from the olive - then off for mot. having an issue with the auto choke which is possibly an airlock in the coolant system- oh, and fit an ariel and a 205 badge. Not bad for 70 quid!!!

Steve your my hero! :) If you end up having a spare starter motor / alternator that'd be ace. I'd like to change both (unless you think just the alternator could sort it). Give me a shout when you know if that's cool :rolleyes:

I don't have power steering btw.

If you need a spare pair of hands for anything on the auto just gimme a shout mate.

Edited by Ethos

Sign in to follow this