• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Droplinks Issues

mos

ok did a couple of searches and found nothing conclusive

a couple of months ago or 3k miles now i replaced everything on the front end suspension related except for the 309 wishbones which have been on 6-7 months or about 8k miles

i have done shocks, bearings, springs, driveshafts, shock bearings, drop links etc

in fact the only thing thats not new or newish is the arb bushes.

when i did the wishbones a while ago i replaced the bushes with oe jobbies as well

well i am getting a knocking noise again and although i cant feel any play in anything i think it might be the droplinks again as its that type of noise.

the ones i fitted are gsf ones and if they gone they not lasted five minutes, are there any better options?

can you get group n ones for example or am i better off stumping up for genuine pug ones? or anyone got a better solution?

unless of course its not the droplinks and its something else, anyone any ideas everything seems tight with no play but somethings clearly a miss

thanks

mark

Faz85

I used these droplinks on mine from eBay:

Drop Links eBay Link

Seem to have passed the test of time, no problems after several thousand miles. Also had a thought, When you did the wishbone bushes did you remember to put the weight of the car on the suspension before tightening up the bolts? Missing out this step can cause premature wear and might be causing your knocking noise.

Edited by Faz85

SPGTi

I have wondered whether these would fit / work OK on the 205

Droplinks

as they are available in different adjustable lengths.

Steve

GLPoomobile

Remove the drop links and go for a drive. That should either confirm or rule them out.

Anthony
Remove the drop links and go for a drive. That should either confirm or rule them out.

ONE droplink - don't remove both at once, otherwise the ARB will fall down and probably foul on the road.

jackherer
ONE droplink - don't remove both at once, otherwise the ARB will fall down and probably foul on the road.

On a low enough car it would be like a stand on a motorbike, could be useful if you have a typical 205 handbrake :):huh:

brianthemagical

pug droplinks are £100. each.

mos
pug droplinks are £100. each.

yes

dont really want to go down that route but if cheap ones keep failing i may have no choice

i wonder if running 309 wishbones, bilstein challenge spec dampeners, eicbach springs and a 21mm 309 arb cause cheap one to wear premanturely? wouldn't have though so, if in fact its my droplinks

on that matter i am going to try again to isolate the problem area by disconnecting the droplinks one at a time, while i am at it i will check the tightness on the wishbone bolts etc. up to now i have always used the very technical "do them up f@cking tight!" approach but i might be a bit scientific this time and use a torque wrench.

does anyone know the torque setting for the wishbone bolts, balljoint and even the arb and droplinks for that matter?

thanks

mark

Anthony
i wonder if running 309 wishbones, bilstein challenge spec dampeners, eicbach springs and a 21mm 309 arb cause cheap one to wear premanturely? wouldn't have though so, if in fact its my droplinks

I'm running almost that setup (Bilstein Sport rather than Challenge, and Koni springs rather than Eibachs) and the droplinks seem to be standing up quite well - one's a pattern GSF part, and the other I'm not sure about as it's original to when I bought the car a couple of years back.

All the torque settings are in the Haynes manual if you've got one

mos

i'll have a look i've a couple knocking about somewhere

jackherer

I think whiteline were making an uprated droplink for the 205 at one point weren't they? And I'm almost certain Compbrake produce one as well.

hengti

if it is your droplinks, i've had similar problems with ECP/GSF ones - some haven't lasted long at all but others have been fine. i think there must be a fair amount of variation in the quality of their suppliers as i reckon i've had at least three different designs of link from them.

for the sake of £20 a go (vs. £100 from Pug - shocking!), i'd be tempted to stick with the GSF/ECP ones until you end up with a pair that last more than a few months.

GLPoomobile

That's a fair point Anthony, was a bit of a hurried reply! I sort of assumed that anyone doing this would have the good sense to support the ARB by tying the ends up somehow. Although saying that, even with old bushes the ARB in my last 1.6 didn't really move up or down without some force with the ends disconnected.

welshpug

the ARB will only foul on the road if the main bushes are worn, hence you might have found your problem ;)

PhillipM might be able to help with some uprated droplinks, he has already made some to suit the 306, and it would just be a case of adjusting the dimensions slightly to suit the 205, best to drop him a PM.

Kev-G
I have wondered whether these would fit / work OK on the 205

Droplinks

as they are available in different adjustable lengths.

Steve

We can supply Whiteline adjustable drop-links (similar style to the link) suitable for the 205/309 - £110.16 delivered.

sales@crombiecarversioncompany.com

Alastairh

Id be tempted to just chuck another 30 quid set on.

Surely driving the car with one drop link might make it a bit un predictable? Persoanlly i would remove both of them and tie the Arb up for safety, that way it just saves messing about.

Al

Jrod
Id be tempted to just chuck another 30 quid set on.

Surely driving the car with one drop link might make it a bit un predictable? Persoanlly i would remove both of them and tie the Arb up for safety, that way it just saves messing about.

Al

It wouldn't make any real diff, if 1 is removed the other side wont fuction as the arb will just twist in its mounts.

McPikie

Remove the ARB and get some compression struts

Alan_M

There was a company up north somewhere, that stocked genuine pug droplinks for £40pair or something not far off.

PugTorque probably knows them.

Kev-G
Remove the ARB and get some compression struts

It's a lower wishbones, not a skanky old Ford....

Sign in to follow this