• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GaryM

205gti 1.6 Fuel Consumption.

Guest GaryM

Hello, I am the proud owner of a Black F Reg unmodified model, two owners from new, Full Service History. Always passes it's MOT, never thrashed etc. My only complaint is that the fuel consumption around town is very poor, something like 18 MPG from my calculations. Is this usual for a car of this age, or is there something that I could easily check out that will enhance the fuel economy? Or maybe it's always been like this and the price of petrol means I've only just started to notice it more! Any suggestions please. Gary.

welshpug

quite normal for around town, something they're not designed for!

a looked after example usually gives low to mid 30's on A road driving, many very good ones with drivers that have perfected the economical driving thang get high 30's.

Guest GaryM
quite normal for around town, something they're not designed for!

a looked after example usually gives low to mid 30's on A road driving, many very good ones with drivers that have perfected the economical driving thang get high 30's.

That's sort of re-assuring. Its just that the economy is nowhere near what the manual says for urban use, which admittedly are short stop start journeys. The economy on a run or motorway is much nearer the manual figures.

Daxed

I’ve done a couple of thousand motorway miles in the last two weeks in a std 1.6 GTI and assuming my maths is right, its returned 43 MPG.

Ethos

My girlfriend gets about 40-50 miles for a tenner :huh:

Although that's mostly starting and stopping 2 miles to work.

pug309twin40s

replace the ECU temp sensor.

when i first fitted the 1.6 8v(radsters old engine) into my goodwood i was only getting 40-50miles to a tenner but after replacing the ECU temp sensor i now constantly do 32-35mpg easily

Sign in to follow this