• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
K22PUG

Strange Starting Problem

K22PUG

Hi

Just joined the forum, searched but not found solution to my seemingly unique problem. Please help.

My 1.9 Gti 1992 has the following problem:

When I start it up the starter motor works ok but will not disengage.

This first happened whilst I was warming the engine up ready for some tuning.

I noticed a sound like a slipping fan belt, then smoke from the starter motor.

I removed the starter motor and found signs of overheating on the pinion shaft.

The pinion had been in engagement with the starter ring and spun itself to oblivion!

I bought a new starter motor, fitted it but noticed that when I released the key from the starting position the starter motor kept going.

Thought it could be the ignition switch so i disconnected it and energised the starter by manually closing the contact in the tachy relay.

Same thing, starter just keeps on going.

Needed to move the car so I made up a lead to go from a switch to the starter motor solenoid terminal and back to the switch thus breaking the circuit.

Now when I operate the starter and the engine catches, I can operate the switch to disengage the starter.

Not very elegant!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pug_ham

The wire on the solenoid hasn't been crossed with the alternator wire has it?

Graham.

K22PUG
The wire on the solenoid hasn't been crossed with the alternator wire has it?

Graham.

Thanks Graham but that wiring checks out fine.

My new thought is that as the cable that feeds the solenoid is joined with other cables in the engine bay loom, (I have all the cables out at the moment) (scary eh!) that via a bad earth there is a voltage being fed to one of these cables.

Do you know of a diagram that identifies all of the earth points.

I know of the ones either side of the rad, the wing earth, the engine earth and one block near the fuse board.

Thanks

Alan

pug_ham

The wire that feeds the alternator should be totally seperate from all other engine bays wires (well, they are all seperate/ individual wires) unless you have melted insulation on them.

If the solenoid is staying engaged then its more likely to be the ignition switch thast causing the problem imo. Has it still got a positive return frm the start position?

The most important earth for the starter is the main engine earth from the gearbox stud, if ths fine the starter shouldn't stay engaged imo.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this