• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Planned 1700cc Mi16 Engine Build

Batfink

I'm gradually collecting the parts I need for building my racecar and i've come to the stage where I want to map out my engine spec as i'm collecting parts when I am unsure I will use them

now i'm planning to race in a class from 1401cc to 1700cc and it seems wrong to try modding an 8v :rolleyes: (sorry purists)

I have an mi16 engine, a steel crank, dry sump etc

Now with a bit of maths i've worked out I can get dead on 1700cc with a 1.6 crank and 86mm pistons and liners. Well 1700.58cc so I hope a scrutineer will round down! B)

there are some hurdles to overcome as I need to keep weight to a minimum to be competitive due to the penalties of runnng a sequential gearbox. Miles can provide 86mm liners and modified blocks i believe. Will mi16 rods fit on a 1.6 crank? I think I can get a custom crank with extra counterweights from catcams, or maybe I can run a billet crank from a 1.6 with no modification?

should be a rather revvy engine. not sure what power I can get but 170bhp should easily be possible with the right cam i would have thought.

Realistic power? Race engines can get well over 100bhp per litre so maybe 200bhp is possible at a stretch.

This would be similar cost to building a 2.2litre version but that would put me in class B against some serious turbo machinery and i think i would be mad to jump in at the deep end.

pdd144c

You'll be in Class B with that setup anyway mate. Box means you'll have to go up a class. Unless we aren't talking about DMN....

Class C Up to 2000cc: multi-valve Up to 1600cc: forced induction

Class D Up to 2000cc: dual-valve Up to 1600cc: multi-valve

Batfink

not DMN - far too crowded and its a bit of a power series now lol

Did they change the rules that anything with sequential goes in class A?

I'm looking at the Classic modified series and then Eurosaloons - Eurosaloons group C is up to 1750 for modified class but dropping 20cc (86.5mm pistons) will make me eligible for both series.

Edited by Batfink

taylorspug

Why do you need the sequential box? With a small relatively low torque engine in a 205, the lowest possible weight is going to be the key isnt it? It would be worth using one if you were going to struggle to get down to the class minimum, (so would effectively be carrying the penalty anyway), but i cant see that being the issue, considering how light you can make a 205. :rolleyes:

Do they add on a set amount of weight for using a sequential box?

Sandy

For up to 1700cc, I would tempted to think TU 16v.

wardy18

where can you source sequential boxes from for the XU9 205

i recently went to a rally and heard a 306 maxi with a sequential box and couldnt beleive my ears when it changed gear

sorry to jump in by the way

Edited by wardy18

kyepan

he mentioned something about 2 seconds a lap from the sequential when i last spoke to him about it.

pdd144c

Ah ok. The new ruling for next year is that a sequential box moves you up a class. LMA would be good though! Sandy TU would be a great option, but I'm not sure the CTCRC rules would allow this.

Batfink
Why do you need the sequential box? With a small relatively low torque engine in a 205, the lowest possible weight is going to be the key isnt it? It would be worth using one if you were going to struggle to get down to the class minimum, (so would effectively be carrying the penalty anyway), but i cant see that being the issue, considering how light you can make a 205. :D

Do they add on a set amount of weight for using a sequential box?

there is no weight penalty - only a class penalty. Minimum weight for a 1.7 will be 640kg which will be a challenge - though I plan to be there...

For up to 1700cc, I would tempted to think TU 16v.

true, but i have loads of cool bits for xu engines, and most of the parts needed for the engine can be used for a big capacity alloy block with a crank change should I want to play with the big boys. hey i just like to be different ;) ;) To purchase similar parts I have for a tu engine would cost a small fortune. With what I have I can experiment somewhat too. Apparently with a dry sump you can run less piston rings so less parasitic losses :D

where can you source sequential boxes from for the XU9 205

i recently went to a rally and heard a 306 maxi with a sequential box and couldnt beleive my ears when it changed gear

sorry to jump in by the way

My gearboxes are the old 405 touring car ones so dont often come up for sale. I've only seen two for sale ever and i've bought them lol

Europe is the best bet as the 405 was far more popular and successful on the continent.

Edited by Batfink

Sandy
Ah ok. The new ruling for next year is that a sequential box moves you up a class. LMA would be good though! Sandy TU would be a great option, but I'm not sure the CTCRC rules would allow this.

Why is that? Iron block TUs were fitted to the 205, so it would only be a head swap, like the Mi16? (I'm not familiar with the rules)

pdd144c

I'm not 100% familiar with them either, so worth checking, but I seem to remember someone saying they weren't allowed....

Batfink

i think the TU would be allowed. I thought boring the TU engine to 1700cc leaves the block walls very thin???

B1ack_Mi16
i think the TU would be allowed. I thought boring the TU engine to 1700cc leaves the block walls very thin???

Danish guys have done both 1860cc and 1920cc TU engines with other crankshafts and overbore.

Batfink

so how good is the 1920cc one compared to an mi16 performance wise? Also by stroking a tu engine to get a greater capacity you create a more lazy revving engine, compared to a destroked mi16

Edited by Batfink

Sandy

1628cc on a standard crank would be reliable and good for comparable power to most "1700" engines.

Dj_mini
true, but i have loads of cool bits for xu engines, and most of the parts needed for the engine can be used for a big capacity alloy block with a crank change should I want to play with the big boys. hey i just like to be different To purchase similar parts I have for a tu engine would cost a small fortune. With what I have I can experiment somewhat too. Apparently with a dry sump you can run less piston rings so less parasitic losses

Iv found that the dry sump set up adds alot of weight with all the extra gubins and 10L of oil also so i think your struggle to get 640kgs

Powers

Christ a 205 that weighs 640kgs! I would say that was almost impossible if not impossible!

Batfink
Iv found that the dry sump set up adds alot of weight with all the extra gubins and 10L of oil also so i think your struggle to get 640kgs

I doubt very much that I will be running 10litres of oil as the tank will be in the passenger footwell next to the bulkhead, maybe 6-7 max I would say.

I have a few plans in motion for getting the car near my target weight so I'll have to wait and see if its successful or not. It wont be cheap but it will be unique!

taylorspug
there is no weight penalty - only a class penalty. Minimum weight for a 1.7 will be 640kg which will be a challenge - though I plan to be there...

Ah ok, well worth the effort then if there is no actual performance penalty! What sort of thing will be running in your class then? Id say 640kg would be acheivable (just), you will have to go all out to get the weight off though!

Batfink

Well Class C in the classic modified series this year had:

Jos Ronchetti in his Lotus Sunbeam (moving to group A next year which is good as he's rather fast! - he's fitting a sequential box apparently)

A Vauxhall Firenza, Mitsubishi Starion, Vento VR6 and an M3 E30

Powers

Batfink, it would be tempting to start a lightweight thread in more detail that Smckeown's one for someone planning the ultimate lightweight shell as you are. What do you think?

Batfink

Probably a good idea. I'll keep a picture diary as I work and will measure the weights of everything as I fit them :lol:

Sign in to follow this