• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Has Anyone Used Cambridge Rebores For Flywheel Work?

Atari Boy

I am about to put together a 1.9 8 valve engine to put in my 1.6. I have been reading past threads and I am now of the opinion that a lightened and rebalanced flywheel is a good upgrade whilst I have the engine on the stand and it is easy to work on.

I have used Cambridge Rebores in the past for head work and the seemed to know their stuff, they have quoted me £25 plus vat, is this too good to be true? Puma and others talk about £80 plus.

It might be that they are just a small outfit that has lower overheads or am I trying to cut corners?

If anyone has used them I wopuld live to know about it.

thanks

Jonny

Anthony

Does sound very cheap I agree - that sounds more like the price for a flywheel skim than a full lightening job tbh. Still, be interested to see how you get on if you do decide to go ahead, as I wouldn't mind an even lighter flywheel for my engine this winter (currently running a 1.6 one) and at that money you're laughing *if* it's a good job.

For what it's worth btw, a 1.6 flywheel is lighter than a 1.9 one and makes a good upgrade.

Atari Boy

Thanks Anthony, so should I just stick a 1.6 flywheel on there and be grateful or should I try and get a 1.6 one lightened too?

I will using the engine(s) that I bought from Ashley if that makes a difference?

Thanks again

Jonny

Anthony
Thanks Anthony, so should I just stick a 1.6 flywheel on there and be grateful or should I try and get a 1.6 one lightened too?

I will using the engine(s) that I bought from Ashley if that makes a difference?

If money isn't tight at the moment, I'd be tempted to give them the 1.9 flywheel to lighten and see what comes back - it's only £25 at the end of the day. If it's significantly lighter than standard and looks to have been done well and without weakening it excessive and to the point that you risk it exploding, then fit it and enjoy, otherwise you've always got the 1.6 flywheel to fit.

1.6 and 1.9 flywheels are exactly the same size, but the 1.6 flywheel is kinda like a partly-lightened 1.9 - compare the two side by side and you'll easily see the difference between them and where the extra material is on the 1.9 item. Looks to my (admittedly non-professional) eye that there's still quite alot more weight that you could remove even from a 1.6 flywheel, and as said, is a route I'm tempted to go down this winter seeing as the engine/gearbox are coming out anyway...

Atari Boy

Okay, thanks for the advice, wiil let you knjow how I get on at Cambridge Rebores.

Edited by Atari Boy

djinuk

i would be interested to see how this goes also ;)

Sign in to follow this