• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainK

What To Do With My Current 1.9 8v Engine?

CaptainK

As some of you may have noticed from my previous threads (and thanks for all your advice), my 1.9 8v is on the way out due to running low oil pressure.

I've been quoted a figure to fix it all as it is, but the quote is quite similar to a quote I've had to replace engine with a GTi-6. So I'm not budgetting for the GTi-6 upgrade and I'm saving up for that. I always thought my beloved 205 needed some more GO anyways. B) But thats not the problem, I'm learning about the conversion thanks to this forum whilst I save.

BUT, its been twinkling in my mind - what should I do with the original 1.9 8v engine? Ideally I would love to keep it and strip it down and teach myself about engines and so forth. I might even be able to rebuild it with the advice from members on here and local garages etc. Essentially the bottom end needs rebuilding, crank regrinding, new oil seals down under, new bearings and so forth. Obviously a new oil pump as well.

The downside is, I'm almost a total spanner newbie, so I'm likely to just make it worse. Not too much of a problem as it wont be in the car and thus I'm not fussed. The BIGGEST problem is that I have no where to keep it and no where to operate on it either. Neither do I have engine stands or hoists to move it around.

No great rush at the moment as I'm currently planning for the GTi-6 sometime early new year. But I like to plan ahead. :rolleyes:

steve@cornwall
As some of you may have noticed from my previous threads (and thanks for all your advice), my 1.9 8v is on the way out due to running low oil pressure.

I've been quoted a figure to fix it all as it is, but the quote is quite similar to a quote I've had to replace engine with a GTi-6. So I'm not budgetting for the GTi-6 upgrade and I'm saving up for that. I always thought my beloved 205 needed some more GO anyways. B) But thats not the problem, I'm learning about the conversion thanks to this forum whilst I save.

BUT, its been twinkling in my mind - what should I do with the original 1.9 8v engine? Ideally I would love to keep it and strip it down and teach myself about engines and so forth. I might even be able to rebuild it with the advice from members on here and local garages etc. Essentially the bottom end needs rebuilding, crank regrinding, new oil seals down under, new bearings and so forth. Obviously a new oil pump as well.

The downside is, I'm almost a total spanner newbie, so I'm likely to just make it worse. Not too much of a problem as it wont be in the car and thus I'm not fussed. The BIGGEST problem is that I have no where to keep it and no where to operate on it either. Neither do I have engine stands or hoists to move it around.

No great rush at the moment as I'm currently planning for the GTi-6 sometime early new year. But I like to plan ahead. :rolleyes:

Fit an oil pump and new big end bearings with the engine in place...just before the conversion, you get to test the result then.

CaptainK
Fit an oil pump and new big end bearings with the engine in place...just before the conversion, you get to test the result then.

Unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to afford BOTH. I can afford to fix my current 1.9 8v engine, but the cost looks only fractionally less than a quote I've had for a GTi6 conversion. I'll be skint with a capital S after the GTi6 conversion.

Thus if I did fix my current engine (again.... - long story, but needless to say its already had new shells, rings, valves, etc etc earlier this year) then I wouldn't bother with the GTi-6 conversion. Mmmm....

I also don't have space to attempt this at home myself by "learning" the engine whilst its in the engine bay. Currently the car still runs fine-ish and I need it to continue to do so until I either fix or GTi6 it. Again, I don't really have any space to work on the engine whilst its in car either as all my parking is on-street in narrow roads and on hills.

Edited by CaptainK

veloce200
Unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to afford BOTH. I can afford to fix my current 1.9 8v engine, but the cost looks only fractionally less than a quote I've had for a GTi6 conversion. I'll be skint with a capital S after the GTi6 conversion.

Thus if I did fix my current engine (again.... - long story, but needless to say its already had new shells, rings, valves, etc etc earlier this year) then I wouldn't bother with the GTi-6 conversion. Mmmm....

I also don't have space to attempt this at home myself by "learning" the engine whilst its in the engine bay. Currently the car still runs fine-ish and I need it to continue to do so until I either fix or GTi6 it. Again, I don't really have any space to work on the engine whilst its in car either as all my parking is on-street in narrow roads and on hills.

could you shed light on some costs? if it's had shells etc have you considered just replacing the oil pump? what is the oil pressure? oil consumption?

edthedrummer

keep it in the garage and strip it over the winter. I'm going to be rebuilding one this winter, a 1.6 8v. I'm 16. If i can do it, you can mate ;) its really not too hard.

CaptainK
keep it in the garage and strip it over the winter. I'm going to be rebuilding one this winter, a 1.6 8v. I'm 16. If i can do it, you can mate :D its really not too hard.

That was the plan I wanted to do. BUT as I stated in my first post I don't have a garage or ANYWHERE to store the engine. I'm unable to do work with it in the car either as I stated above that I have no where to do it - I live on narrow roads on a hill.

Without looking back at the invoice:

Jan 2007 : New valves, piston rings, liners, shells, big end bearings. This was due to a bolt holding one of the cambelt driven pulleys seized and locked it, thus breaking the cambelt and shafting the valves. I told them to replace the "bottom end" stuff and the oil pump, but the oil pump was not done as they deemed it unneccessary.

A few weeks ago: Oil gauge has always read low - this site said the gauges weren't too great. BUT, I then started getting the STOP light come on as well. Took to garage and they confirmed that I have low oil pressure. The (different garage) looked it over and said it didn't sound particularly healthy and that I would need this that and the other. I concured with them as I too thought it was running badly (slow) and .... insert long story, but it means replacing the bottom end shells, bearings, regrinding crankshaft, new oil seals and so forth. NONE of which I can do and would cost a fortune for the garage to do. Oil consumption is virtually none, except a tiny leak caused by the crankshaft being out slightly and wearing one of its oil seals away.

So if anyone in Exeter area can store me an engine whilst I pop round and work on it, that'd be most fun. :lol:

edthedrummer
That was the plan I wanted to do. BUT as I stated in my first post I don't have a garage or ANYWHERE to store the engine. I'm unable to do work with it in the car either as I stated above that I have no where to do it - I live on narrow roads on a hill.

Without looking back at the invoice:

Jan 2007 : New valves, piston rings, liners, shells, big end bearings. This was due to a bolt holding one of the cambelt driven pulleys seized and locked it, thus breaking the cambelt and shafting the valves. I told them to replace the "bottom end" stuff and the oil pump, but the oil pump was not done as they deemed it unneccessary.

A few weeks ago: Oil gauge has always read low - this site said the gauges weren't too great. BUT, I then started getting the STOP light come on as well. Took to garage and they confirmed that I have low oil pressure. The (different garage) looked it over and said it didn't sound particularly healthy and that I would need this that and the other. I concured with them as I too thought it was running badly (slow) and .... insert long story, but it means replacing the bottom end shells, bearings, regrinding crankshaft, new oil seals and so forth. NONE of which I can do and would cost a fortune for the garage to do. Oil consumption is virtually none, except a tiny leak caused by the crankshaft being out slightly and wearing one of its oil seals away.

So if anyone in Exeter area can store me an engine whilst I pop round and work on it, that'd be most fun. :D

Ahhhh sorry, didn't read the no garage part. my bad. I guess you are a bit stuck then. Hopefully somebody will come up and offer something in the way of storage, it is a really good moment when you finish the engine and it works :lol:

CaptainK
Ahhhh sorry, didn't read the no garage part. my bad. I guess you are a bit stuck then. Hopefully somebody will come up and offer something in the way of storage, it is a really good moment when you finish the engine and it works :lol:

No worries mate. But as you say, it is a bit saddening - if I had the space, tools and time then I would tinker with it and learn it myself. Afterall, if I make it worse then its ok as its only gonna get GTi-6'd anyways. But alas not.

Even more saddening is that my bro is a mechanic - he has the tools and more importantly the space to put the car whilst I work on it. The catch? Over 100 miles away in a direction I rarely travel, and if I do I'm only there briefly and normally have to spend time with the folks (he lives with the folks).

Anyone got a good guide on how to change an oil pump?

And if anyone is interested, here is my 205 in bits as of Jan 2007 when it was rebuilt:

Photo Album

Edited by CaptainK

Doof

I'd be surprised if it is actually the pump at fault, from what i've read they dont really wear much and its more likely to be other things. I would have thought it'd be more likely to be the main bearings, which would mean a possible crank regrind. If it didn't need a grind then it'd be relatively straightforward and could at least be done while the engine is in situ.

Craigb

how easy is it to replace the bearings whilst the engine is in situ , and how do you determine whether the crank needs a regrind , whilst it is in the car .

I am interested as mine is probably due a bit of bottom end fettling , as it been in for 4 seasons now .

brianthemagical

i think it's probs poss to do the main shells with the enigne in situ. when people say it's not that hard, and it can be done on your drive and i f i can do it so can you, they do mean it, speaking from experiance, enigne rebuilds are easy, if a little tricky. can you not but the enigne in your bedroom?

edthedrummer
i think it's probs poss to do the main shells with the enigne in situ. when people say it's not that hard, and it can be done on your drive and i f i can do it so can you, they do mean it, speaking from experiance, enigne rebuilds are easy, if a little tricky. can you not but the enigne in your bedroom?

That was going to be my next suggestion, bring it inside to do it. Just make sure to drain as much of the oil and coolant as possible before hand.

Sign in to follow this