• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
robbiecfc

New Tyres For 1.6

robbiecfc

Hi All,

My Goodyears are getting a bit hard and I have been told that you cannot get them in the std 1.6 size anymore...

I have the options of the following:

Michelin Pilot EXALTO PE2 185/60 R14 82V with rim protection ridge

Toyo PROXES CF 185/60 R14 82V with rim protection ridge

There are also some crappy no name brands that I have been offered as well: Kumho, Federal and Maxxis which I think I shall discount out of hand.

Does anybody have experience with the above?

TIA

Robbie

Baz

Proxes are good if anything like the Proxes T1S/R's etc, heard the Exalto's are also a good all weather tyre. Can you get Yoko Parada 2's in that size?

Jrod

I've used kumhos before and was quite suprised how good they were.

Quite a few of my friends also agree and run them on their everyday cars as a compromise between cost and grip.

They are actually starting to work their way up.

http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/Motorsports/index.html

Edited by Jrod

robbiecfc
I've used kumhos before and was quite suprised how good they were.

Quite a few of my friends also agree and run them on their everyday cars as a compromise between cost and grip.

They are actually starting to work their way up.

http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/Motorsports/index.html

Are they any good in wet conditions? Live in Ireland > 200 wet days :)

Jrod

We used the older ones for a few road rallys and they were pretty good I thought.

I felt more confident on them than my eagle F1's but that might be because the later was on a car worth alot more. :):angry:

robbiecfc
We used the older ones for a few road rallys and they were pretty good I thought.

I felt more confident on them than my eagle F1's but that might be because the later was on a car worth alot more. :):angry:

Cool as. A lot cheaper than the michelins and cheaper than the toyos! Got to be worth a go.

Jrod

3060000000052836.JPG

They look cool as! :)

Anthony

Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's are pretty good, but in the past they've been comparitively expensive (twice the price of F1's at one point) - if you can get them for a sensible price then you could certainly do alot worse in my experience

Rupertfinch

Bridgestone potenza re720 - rim protectors with these bad boys. I've got them on the front of my 1.6 and I can't fault it. They look good too!

On the rears I opted for Vredestein Hi Tracs, primarily based on their win in an auto express test. Not convinced. Look a wee bit gay, no rim protection.

Should pay just under £40 a corner for both tyres, although think bridegstone don't do the re720's anymore, but my local fitter has got some knocking around. Might be worth a quick nip up north! :rolleyes: God that'd be one hell of a drive in a 1.6!

robbiecfc
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's are pretty good, but in the past they've been comparitively expensive (twice the price of F1's at one point) - if you can get them for a sensible price then you could certainly do alot worse in my experience

Prices are as follows:

Michelin: €93.70 (£65.70) each

Toyo: €61.60 (£42.96) each

Kumho: €57.70 (40.24) each

So the Michelin's are roughly 50% dearer than nearest competitor. Might have to get a set of each and do a comparison lol... I did notice that the Griffe for Sale did have a full set of newish (brand new even) Exalto's and Michelin were OE spec tyres. My tyre man is normally pretty good, his usual question = "Do you want them to last or do you want them to grip?" I always go for grip!!! He reckons 9 out 10 go for price / lasting qualities.

Does anybody know if the TyreTest.com results are for real or just marketing / Full of ><@{!

Banjo

I'm running Uniroyal Rainsports as are a few of my friends and there really good, in the dry and in the wet, comfy and long lasting.. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this