• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Bike Bodies 8v Inlet

brianthemagical

i'm planning on fitting bike bodies to my 1.9 8v. just a few questions, has anyone converted an 8v std inlet to work with tb's and the std injector positions? is it possible? what size bodies would be best for a 1.9, i'm looking for more low down, so i was thinking 750's but if i get twin butterfly tb's will there be any advantage to gettign something like 1000's? or are they overkill for a stdish 8v? would 600's suffice? i'm planning on using MS as i'm skint, if that helps.

i have seached, but couldn't find what i was after.

thanks.

Edited by brianthemagical

brianthemagical

i'v got some r6's, on recomendation of someone who knows there stuff. has anyone converted an 8v manifold to run bike bodies? i'm thinking i'll need to weld some tube on to the runners, which shouldn't be too hard.

the next qusestion is how heat prof are air boxes? i'm thinking fiberglass of carbon fibre, but to get long enough tracts i'm going to keep the curve in the mani and hve the box behind the rad, with an ali heat sheild, then the empty air box and a cold air feed with the filter on/in that. what do ya'll think? thanks.

gti-hysteria

iv just got some r6 carbs too, have u managed to convert your 8v manifold to fit yet?

brianthemagical

the carbs are still in the post, but i'll post as soon as discover something.

brianthemagical

going slightly off topic, but i'm having some more ideas. is the trumprt included in the tract length? i'm thinking mounting the tbs as close to the head as poss, using the tb injectors, then adding bent trumpets to make up the tract length. but only if the std inlet isn't usable.

what kind of tract lenght should be used for a std 1.9 8v? i'm thinking measuring the std inlet runners and trying to get that. would altering the length have any great rsults on a std cam? thanks for the help.

gti-hysteria

i got my r6 carbs yesterday, and iv cut my standard inlet manifold down abit, but think im going to cut some more off, got any further with yours?

brianthemagical

still planning at the mo. the alternator is in the way unfortunatly. have a ook at the xu5 bodies thread, it's helpful. where abouts have you cut yours down to? and pics? thanks.

gti-hysteria

this was my 1st cut, but iv done it again since and cut alot more off, i will get more pix today,

havnt had taken my old inlet off yet, and dint even think of the alternator, just trying to find some correct size alloy tubing now

post-7607-1195634825_thumb.jpg

brianthemagical

is that going to provide enough bonnet clearence? what length tracts are you looking at? off the top of my head they might clear the alternator, i was planning on having the bodies in place of the plenum, hence the issues. thanks for the pic.

gti-hysteria

iv now cut down the old inlet again, much neater now, not to sure about the tract lenthgs yet, gonna see on space ect, what would you recomend?

post-7607-1195651478_thumb.jpg

brianthemagical

are you using carbs, not bodies? i'm using the std fuel rail so need slightly more length on the mounting flange, which makes it a bit harded. not sure about tract lengths, depends on engine specs, bout 350mm ish give or take, experimentation is the only way.

gti-hysteria

yeah im just using them as carbs,

gti-hysteria

wont 350mm be way too long?

this is how im planning on mine sitting

post-7607-1195989473_thumb.jpg

gti-hysteria

just a practice with a plastic pipe to see how much i have to angle the tube

post-7607-1195989748_thumb.jpg

brianthemagical

nice one. i'm not sure about the length, about 350mm ish was recommended in another topic by a reputable forum member, i am planning on having an experiment though and i'm after lower down power. try and get all 4 runners the same length. looks like you won't be too long getting it finished, unfortunatly uni's getting in my way. thanks for the help.

welshpug

the longer you can make it the better, more torque all round and less of a harsh angle on the runners as in the picture above, I can't remember offhand what sandy/colin make their inlets to be, but they're much longer than most and with good results.

just to stir those braincells I thought I'd add the dimensions of the S16/2.0Mi 's inlet tract dimensions:

short tract - 370mm long @ 45mm dia.

long tract - 650mm long @ 36m dia.

on an engine that typicaly produces 155+hp and 180 odd Nm of torque.

gti-hysteria

iv ordered my ally pipe off ebay that should be coming wednesday and iv orderd my silicon joiners, its the cutting and welding im not looking forward to, not that i will be welding it, but finding somewhere that will.

i spoke to bogg brothers and theres a hole that you have to block up aswell, i just super glued a small pop rivit in there

post-7607-1195990746_thumb.jpg

cybernck

i should have thought to suggest this earlier but better late that never i guess :wacko:.

unless i got some wires crossed, 405 SRi should have an inlet manifold similar to Mi16 - i.e. round.

as the heads should be the same, perhaps this manifold would be easier to modify to suit your TB's?

steve@cornwall
i should have thought to suggest this earlier but better late that never i guess :wacko:.

unless i got some wires crossed, 405 SRi should have an inlet manifold similar to Mi16 - i.e. round.

as the heads should be the same, perhaps this manifold would be easier to modify to suit your TB's?

How about a 8v carb manifold? Looks to have better stud fixing and runner shape

post-7883-1195994949_thumb.jpg

ifcho

Do you have a picture of that manifold, viewed from the head? If it has the proper port shape, and there is a smooth transition from the tube, to the port, then they will be fine.

cybernck, I was also thinking of the SRI manifold (in another related topic I said that) but Sandy said the heads are different, so they won't match. I will go and check this in a few days :wacko:

brianthemagical

it was sandy that mentioned the 350mmish. the s16 lengths gives food for thought, some bad though. if it produces 155bhp with a 370mm tract then an 8v wiht a long tract isn't going to produce much. but loads of torque should be present, nice. does the s16 use ram charging or resonance, or both? the plenum will effect the ram charging though. i'm just glad i don't have to pay for the RR.

cybernck; i think the sri is downdraught, it has already been mentioned in other threads and i think there was a reason it couldn't be used but i'll look in to it. probably harder to come by than GTi manifolds.

steve@cornwall; thanks for the suggestion but it wouldn't be any good for injection. the centre studs are different, not sure if there present in the head though.

a thought on runner shapes, for MI's aswell. round runners car promote spiraling or the gas flowing through it, which can have a centrifugal action, if there is fuel present in the tract, i.e. with carbs, then the fuel can be thrown to the tract walls, causing mixture problems.

thanks for all the help, really appreciate it, hopefully some good results from bike carbs/bodies will result, i hope. thanks again.

brianthemagical

sri head

sri inlet

sri inlet

thats all i could find. by the looks of it the inlet tracts would be the wrong shape, and there looks to be more to the mounting face. the injectors look more verticle also. make of that what you will, i'm thinking it might not work but any input greatly appreciated. thanks.

interesting read

above is a thread froma few weeks ago, has some interesting points and will clarify some points in this tread, maybe.

thanks again for all the input.

i've had a search for 405 gri aswell but they look to be the same as sri's, interestingly though, weber states one or there kits will do 205 gti's and 405 gri's and sri's.

brianthemagical

thats interesting reading. i don't like that book too much though, not really what i was after in other areas, but that was a good bit. shame it doesn't have any general info. most of my knowledge comes from advanced engine tech by heisler. it has more generic graphs and theorys but less in the way of case studys. i'll try and get some pages up when i get some work done. thanks.

gti-hysteria

just fitted them, they fit ok, tiny bit wonkey,

post-7607-1197122982_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this