• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest upthespurs

Fried Full Beams!

Guest upthespurs

Hi there,

Really need some help as I am a complete newbie so please bare with me. I bought some new driving lamps for my 1.6 and decided to fit them myself, didnt have a problem with that but when i tested them they worked for about 20 seconds then the passenger side one blew and smoke started billowing from the engine.

Obviously I panicked and switched the engine off. After alot of deliberation I decided to remove both bulbs and do without them until I could figure out what exactly had gone wrong. The problem is now when I switch to full beams Im still getting smoke! It doesnt seem to happen when the main beams are on but i really dont want to drive in the dark and risk it. Anybody have any idea what i have actually done and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Anthony

My guess would be that you've shorted out the power feed for the main beam when you were installing the driving lamps, so everytime you switch them on, you're passing far too much current on the wire and overheating it, hence all the smoke.

Disconnect the wiring that you changed for the driving lamps, and see if the high beams work properly then.

Guest upthespurs

I disconnected the driving lights completely but I am still getting smoke from the connectors. They are pretty damaged now from overheating and looks like Im going to have to get the wiring changed for them. Not sure what I should be doing to stop this smoke problem tho, any more suggestions?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this