• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McPikie

Replacing Lower Engine Mount?

McPikie

Is it easier to change the whole mount, or is the old bush easy to get out?

Chris H

I have heard of it being done in situ but in my opinion its much easier to remove the mount.

Hub nut and bottom pinch bolt will get the c.v. free and then there is the 2 11mm nuts on the mount, undo them and remove the shaft.

Then its just the 4 16mm hex bolts and the mounts off.

M@tt

To replace it the whole mount has to come off anyway (and drive shaft has to come out) so it depends whether you have a suitable one to replace it with. If you have it will save you some time otherwise just get the old one pressed out and the new one pushed in.

Alastairh

Take drive shaft out. (2* 11mm nuts and obviously the hub nut).

Four 17mm bolts on the back of the block and its off. But you'll have to press the bush out.

Al

Chris H

I have heard of people just removing the subframe to engine mount link, then by brute force getting the old rubber mount out, and then using G-Clamps to press a new one in!

Sounds like hard work to me....i'd take it right off!

pug_ham
Take drive shaft out. (2* 11mm nuts and obviously the hub nut).

Four 17mm bolts on the back of the block and its off. But you'll have to press the bush out.

Not forgetting to drain the gearbox oil first. ;)

It can be done with the mount still fitted but every new one is different for refitting so removal is far easier.

Graham.

wardy18

ive done this recently to fit a solid mount

didnt drain the box, just get everythin undone as stated above then unbolt the mount from the engine so its ready to slide off the drive shaft, then pull the driveshaft out the box and quickly slide the mount off the end then slot the shaft back in the box, not alot of oil will come out

i simply cut the old mount out and it didnt take long at all then a quick clean up inside the mount with fine sandpaper then get a good size socket and a big hammer or if available use a press to push the new one in then reverse the above, wasnt a bad job!!

djinuk

ive got this coming up, :rolleyes:, not looking forward to it,

Pob
I have heard of people just removing the subframe to engine mount link, then by brute force getting the old rubber mount out, and then using G-Clamps to press a new one in!

Sounds like hard work to me....i'd take it right off!

G-Clamps? How? Surely you couldn't get enough pressure behind it?

It's easier to just removed it rather than struggling under the car, It's not hard to get it off. I used a hack saw to cut the old one along the metal outer ring in two places then used a cold chisel and a hammer to get the bush out. To get the new bush in I used a length of threaded bar, two nuts, two large washers and two large sockets, put grease on the metal outer of the bush and tighten it up and it will pull the bush into the mount. Simple :)

Dan

Edited by Pob

ants1974

A word of advice, DONT try and do it with the mount still attached to the car. The bush is really easy to get out like wardy said, cut it out. Pushing it back in is a bit difficult, take it to your local garage they will have a press and will do it for you if you talk to them nicely. If you jack the car up on the drivers side and leave the passenger side on the floor, no oil will leak from the gearbox (unless mines empty :) )

Alastairh

Leaving it on the car, is just causing hastle for yourself.

Its an easy job, just do as i say and you shouldn't have problems.

McPikie

Got a full mount coming now so should get it done this week

Sign in to follow this