• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Gpa Cam In 8v 1900

philfingers

I;ve got a new car, supposedly fitted with a PTS GpA cam, does anyone know the specs of this. It has GP A stamped on the end of it, would this be correct?

Thanks,

Phil

post-8636-1193910077_thumb.jpg

hodgy

i also want to know the stats of this cam as i need to set mine but by sunday

do you know if yours is the max torque cam?

petert

Set it to 106 deg. lobe centre and all will be fine. From memory this equates to approx. 0.127" lift at TDC.

pug_ham

There used to be three different group A cams, 1.9 'Peformance' (7060), max torque (7048) & max "top end" (7040).

Oddly the max torque was the cheapest.

Graham.

Anulfo

You got double valve springs with that?

hodgy
Set it to 106 deg. lobe centre and all will be fine. From memory this equates to approx. 0.127" lift at TDC.

which way advanced or retarded?

mine is the max torque one

hodgy
You got double valve springs with that?

mine is running the piper up rated springs from the 270deg cam kit

petert
which way advanced or retarded?

Set it so the maximum opening point of the inlet is 106 deg. ATDC.

philfingers

Not sure what springs are with it, even if it's got large valves. The head has LAD stamped on it and the guy i bought it off said the ID of the head indicated it was built for Richard Burns when he did the challenge. However no proof.

Does this like a genuine PTS cam then? Any way of telling which one it is, are they colour coded for instance?

Phil

pug_ham
The head has LAD stamped on it and the guy i bought it off said the ID of the head indicated it was built for Richard Burns when he did the challenge. However no proof.

Maybe its one of those magical 160bhp engine french cam's that when measured is exactly the same as the standard cam. :)

Does this like a genuine PTS cam then? Any way of telling which one it is, are they colour coded for instance?

Phil

I'll try to have a look through the 205 1.9 group A homologation papers later & see if it has any spec for this cam or any others, I'm skeptical as the other PTS cams have the number stamped on the end (7048, 7040) so I'd have expected this to have the same & have 7060 stamped on instead of grpA.

Graham.

Anulfo

Maybe is one of those magical LAD heads??????........Made out of baked bean cans????

hodgy

i set it how you said and to the degrees you said and the car sounds like a "proper" cammed car now, as in its lumpy. it sounds better and the carbs sound deeper but it doesnt feel better to drive!? its worse to drive slow.

projectpug

Well a GpA cam should be worse to drive slow its meant to improve the effeciency further up the revs. As in any cam you will sacrifice top end/ low end power depending on which one you go for.

hodgy

ive had the cam in a year! only just changed the timing of it and its worse now

petert

It's very difficult to set the timing accurately using the lobe centre method, eg max lift 106 deg. ATDC. Because the full lift dwells for so long, there's a high chance of getting that max. point wrong. You need to verify it by checking the lift/angle say 0.050" either side of full lift. A search on the web will find more details on how to do this accurately.

Using the lift @TDC method, if you know the figure for a given lobe centre line, is far easier. As Mattsav suggested, a good point to start is making sure there's equal lift at TDC on both the exhaust and inlet. However, this only works when the exhaust and inlet grinds are identical. But this is probably the case for your cam.

If it's gone very lumpy and lacks low down punch, you probably have it retarded. Try advancing the cam in two degrees increments and see if there is an improvement.

hodgy

i advanced the timing :) just seem weird how ive changed the timing from standard and the car seems worse.i was only doing it as a rough cos the waiting list at boggs is stupid and was trying to save a lil money on fuel till its done

Sign in to follow this