• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Zx Trailing Arms

swordfish210

Hi, will the ZX trailing arms fit on to a 1.9 gti axle. If so is it a relativly easy swap/worth the effort.

Dj_mini

Iv done the swap myself the one thing ill say is dont forget you will need the disks off the zx as they are diffrent offset to the 205 /309 ones.

taylorspug

The trailing arms off of any ZX fit, the base models through to the Volcanes, and all have identical toe and camber settings (mine came from a 1.4 or something). Looking at it a base model will probably be ideal for you, as you need drum brake stub pins for your 1.6 beam, so find a late model with good arm shafts and they will be a straight swap with minimum hassle!

Good mod well worth the effort in my opinion, has made the rear end of my car alot more stable and less likely to snap and break away, but turn in is still very positive. :)

Edited by taylorspug

swordfish210

i should have added i will be swapping the 1.6 beam for a 1.9 beam over the winter. I'll look out for some then with some ZX discs. Thanks guys

hodgy

do they fit the 309 beam too?

Hilgie

Yes they fit as well....Pug is just like Lego :)

Anthony
Iv done the swap myself the one thing ill say is dont forget you will need the disks off the zx as they are diffrent offset to the 205 /309 ones.

My ZX arm'ed beam is running just fine with standard 205/309 rear disks, calipers etc.

205, 309, 306, ZX, and Xsara rear beam arms are all interchangeable - just like lego as Hilgie said :)

swordfish210
Pug is just like Lego :)

You've gotta love pugs just for that, every thing is so interchangeable. Anyone know anywhere i'm likely to find some ZX arms (a particluar breakers yard ect)

pug_ham
Anyone know anywhere i'm likely to find some ZX arms (a particluar breakers yard ect)

There are a couple of ZX's in one of my local breakers.

Last pair of arm's from a ZX I got were £40 from there.

They are all drum brakes though but everything is easy to swap over usually.

Graham.

Dj_mini
My ZX arm'ed beam is running just fine with standard 205/309 rear disks, calipers etc.

I tryed fitting my 205 disks but as i had new pads the disk would bind alot as the caliper was at its maximum adjustment on the sliders so checked the part numbers and the zx runs the same offset disk as the 106 ;) Are you running the zx stub pin / hub set up or 205 one as im guessing this would change it?

pug_ham

I've got ZX disc rear arms on the 309 beam on my car with 205 discs & calipers with no problems.

Graham.

les3002

if you got zx drum arms could they be converted to disk using the stub axle etc off a 1.9 gti beam?

pug_ham
if you got zx drum arms could they be converted to disk using the stub axle etc off a 1.9 gti beam?

yes, in just the same way as converting a drum brake beam to disc brakes on a 205 GTi.

I've done at least one like this already.

Graham.

les3002

cheers graham, going to rebuild one of my spare beams so may aswell go for zx arms.

whizzer71

Does anyone have the figures (Ie the differences) between 205 and ZX arms ?

:(

welshpug

not to hand, its on the forum somewhere :(

daza4

I have to ask why you would want to fit these?

What is the difference to these and 205 ones?? and the Zsara arms I have aslo seen fitted aswell? Help or advice is always needed!!!

snillet
yes, in just the same way as converting a drum brake beam to disc brakes on a 205 GTi.

I've done at least one like this already.

Graham.

I know that the drums at the rear of my wifes -95 ZX break has "hubs", the bearing is not pressed into the drum but instead it is fitted in a hub, in the same way as it is on the discbrake version of the 205/309 axle, does this mean that the discbrakes will fit without changing the "stub" ?

swordfish210
I have to ask why you would want to fit these?

What is the difference to these and 205 ones?? and the Zsara arms I have aslo seen fitted aswell? Help or advice is always needed!!!

ZX arms have a bit of negative camber as opposed to the 205 arms which have none

James_R

They have no toe in on the rear and little more camber than a 205

Same as Pugtorque, running std 205 discs calipers etc... no issues.

Awesome mod too by the way :(

Alan_M

Can someone tell me if you need to remove the ABS sensor ring off the ZX arms?

James_R

no just the sensor tab bit which just unbolts, you can leave the ABS pick bit on the hub, bit lighter too B)

les3002

will the track be the same as a 1.9 gti with these arms as i dont really want wide track?

pug_ham
I know that the drums at the rear of my wifes -95 ZX break has "hubs", the bearing is not pressed into the drum but instead it is fitted in a hub, in the same way as it is on the discbrake version of the 205/309 axle, does this mean that the discbrakes will fit without changing the "stub" ?

I've seen this on a ZX estate which I stripped the radius arms off but don't honestly know if the stub axle was the same size as a disc one because when I got the arms off, the radius arm shafts were heavily pitted so I left them & moved onto the next ZX. :o

will the track be the same as a 1.9 gti with these arms as i dont really want wide track?

It shouldn't change the track width of the car at all imo, the differences are all in the casting & machining during manufacturing.

The stub axle etc is the same for a ZX disc arm as on the 1.9 GTi arms so any change (not that I believe there will be any) is going to be minute.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this