• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest oilburner

Hydraulic Handbrake & Rear Discs.

Guest oilburner

Hi Everybody,

I run a hydraulic handbrake linked to discs on the back of my GTI rally car.

Trouble is i,ve never really had a decent handbrake that will skid the car

around.This is particularly important on tight 90 degree/hairpin bends/slots etc.

Having tried several makes of pad namely - mintex ferodo & standard/fast road

i still can,t get it as i,d like.Previous to discs i ran drums & again - hopeless!

What are you other rally/hillclimb drivers using & what have you found to work

the best? :wacko:

kanyeost
Hi Everybody,

I run a hydraulic handbrake linked to discs on the back of my GTI rally car.

Trouble is i,ve never really had a decent handbrake that will skid the car

around.This is particularly important on tight 90 degree/hairpin bends/slots etc.

Having tried several makes of pad namely - mintex ferodo & standard/fast road

i still can,t get it as i,d like.Previous to discs i ran drums & again - hopeless!

What are you other rally/hillclimb drivers using & what have you found to work

the best? :wacko:

Have you seen this post? I can't comment cos I've got drums but it might help..

effective handbrake

brumster

F2-style (vertical) fly-off here too, works fine on 1144 rears. Plumbed in *after* the adjustable Tilton valve, obviously :rolleyes:

Rob Thomson

I never had any problem getting my trusty old 309 to twirl on the handbrake all night long on road events. Just standard discs, probably something s*it like EBC Greenstuffs (this is going back a few years) and no hydraulics. The most important thing is to make sure that everything's in good standard condition; the calipers and sliders can seize. And another thing... the standard brake bias isn't enough to keep the rear discs nice and warm. Fitting a bias valve or similar also helps the handbrake for that reason.

Incidentally, my standard (and quite f***ed) 1.6 GTi also goes round a treat.

Guest oilburner

It seems most people have a bias valve fitted, my brake lines are plumbed internally so where do most of you fit the valve? - anybody got a picture of one fitted to their car - i haven,t tried one,

would be good to see the real thing. It might be the answer or at least help with this s....ty!

handbrake situation. :rolleyes:

Chris H

Also your technique is important, you need to give the lever a good sharp tug, if you lust pull it up and expect it to lock you'll be disapointed.

My 205 with std calipers with Carbone Lorraine RC5 pads and cables only goes round fine....almost too good as i was facing back the way i came a couple of times on the recent Jersey Rally.

I used to have a hudraulic handbrake on my old 309 and that worked fine too, as long as you gave it a good sharp tug.

I have a PTS works hyd handbrake which i'll fit to my 205 and i have a couple of Genuine Mitsubishi WRC Handbrake levers so i'll fit one of them in my new 309 rally car.

Sign in to follow this