• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Lightened/balanced Flywheel

Kennyb

Anyone have any idea on who could lighten and balance a 1.6 flywheel for me? how much does it cost? im upnorth by the way

pug_ham

The forum sponser Q-E-P should be able to help & so can DES Developments.

You'll have to post it to them & there is a pricelist on the websites for how much it'll cost.

Graham.

pete1986

QEP are very local to me, think they do it on an exchange basis.

I have been thinking of doing mine when i replace my gearbox. Seems like a cheap yet effective mod, are there any downsides?

Edited by pete1986

Last Legend

Tickover can be a little lumpy.

GTI6BOY

fitted 1 to a gti6 the other day, all we noticed was it was a bit more revy

but i and the man who bought it could not justify the money

someone else might differ?

James_R

I put a 4 kgs flywheel on my s16 and it made a huge difference in acceleration in lower gears. Idle was unaffected (old wifes tail no doubt) and I didn't go up hills slower or whatever that's about, also when you changed gear the revs simpley jumped to where the gears wanted them to be, no jolt in the drive train, made heal to toe almost pointless, you could just ram a gear and no drama rev's matched straight off.

The engine had a cambelt tensioner failure, but that's not related, I'm using one on my new engine, I'm sold anyways.

engine killer
I put a 4 kgs flywheel on my s16 and it made a huge difference in acceleration in lower gears. Idle was unaffected (old wifes tail no doubt) and I didn't go up hills slower or whatever that's about, also when you changed gear the revs simpley jumped to where the gears wanted them to be, no jolt in the drive train, made heal to toe almost pointless, you could just ram a gear and no drama rev's matched straight off.

The engine had a cambelt tensioner failure, but that's not related, I'm using one on my new engine, I'm sold anyways.

4 kgs seems very light. was the original about 6-7 kg? 2 kgs from a not heavy flywheel should be a very difficult job.

TEKNOPUG

I ran a lightened flywheel on my TT and made a big difference too. You are effectively lightening the weight of the vehicle by reducing the engine resistance. Engine would spin up much quicker which is great for the turbo. Idle was unaffected. Just had to be careful in traffic as it was a lot easier to stall as the revs would drop a quicker.

Sign in to follow this