• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Longer Lasting Tyres?

Bassman

Hi,

My 405 is fitted with 195/50/15 Goodyear Eagle F1s (on Mi16 alloys) and they transformed the car, but they have a habit (with my enthusiastic driving) of wearing on the outside fairly quickly. I have had the tracking checked and all is ok, but I am about to re-bush the wishbones and get new drop-links to try and help a little as well. (148k on original suspension all round)

As I now need 3 new tyres, I could replace all 4 and move to something different. I am also thinking of going back up to the OE size of 195/55/15 as they will fill the arches a little better albeit at a price.

Am I best sticking with the Eagle F1s or I have read that the Toyo Proxie T1Rs are potentially longer lasting? I am now doing a lot of motorway miles (about 250 to 300 miles a week), so I could move to a harder tyre such as a Goodyear Eagle NCT5 or a Michelin Energy E3A like my Passat, but I will presubably lose some traction, which on a 12 year old car with no ABS, is never good on a damp motorway.

Another thought, having never replaced a shock in my life, would worn top mounts potentially contribute to poor tyre life? Should I have a crack at these as well?

Thanks

Rob

Sandy

Michelin Pilot Exalto2, approximately 8.7 times better tyres than the Toyo's IMO, feel, feedback, grip, breakway, wet performance, everything really.

In terms of wear, I've done approximately 15,000 miles on the set I have currently on the Trio and the fronts are only down to about 3mm, the backs are barely worn. They take some abuse too, believe me!!

chris1986

another vote for the michelin, really good in the wet aswell, just cost a bit more but worth it

Bassman

Well despite asking for advice I ended buying some Toyo Proxes 4 at the spur of the moment. :D

The garage I normally use said they could get Eagle F1s at £44 a corner fitted (normally £48) and given I am a bit skint at the moment and can't afford the Michelin's I thought I would go for them for one last time.

Turned up today (20 mile drive to this place) and they hadn't been able to get them now Goodyear have stopped making them and hadn't told me. They had however got 4 Toyo Proxes 4 in stock in my size at £37 a corner. How convenient. :)

So I shall see how these last, they certainly look the part. They are a brand new design and have a higher load rating of 86 which suits my 405 as the Eagle F1s were only 82. Hopefully now I have replaced all the bushes (front & rear wishbone and arb), top mount rubber, drop links, ball joints, track-rod ends and wheel bearings I should at least have even tyre wear!

Toyo Proxes 4

de Noir

F1's are soft.

Toyos even softer, don't like them because their soft sidewall bends too much.

If you are going to take 4 new tyres, I suggest you try Dunlop SP9000 in size 195/50-15.

They're the longest lasting rubber I have ever driven on my cars. Good grip, excellent in wet, long lasting.

Edited by MH_

boombang
Am I best sticking with the Eagle F1s or I have read that the Toyo Proxie T1Rs are potentially longer lasting?

When I had a set of those Toyos, you could see them wearing from week to week.

In the wet I swear they wanted to kill me too.

Bassman
F1's are soft.

Toyos even softer, don't like them because their soft sidewall bends too much.

If you are going to take 4 new tyres, I suggest you try Dunlop SP9000 in size 195/50-15.

They're the longest lasting rubber I have ever driven on my cars. Good grip, excellent in wet, long lasting.

Yes I did notice that the sidewalls seem softer on the Toyo 4s than on the F1s. Hopefully with the new perishable bits on my front suspension they will wear evenly at least.

It is damp tonight, so I will see how they perform in the wet tomorrow morning. Really with a 405 GLX I am not looking for amazing tyres as I don't have the power to lose traction. A tired engine but reasonable tyres is a bit like having traction control!

Anybody seen any reviews on the new Toyo Proxes 4s?

Jon_Bmw

You either have grip or longevity I have found, one or the other, not both.

For example -p6000 no grip, but 20k miles possible

t1s- great grip wet and dry, but 10k miles.

I personally prefer paying out more regularly and having something decent, rather than some dogey nankang ditchfinders

welshpug

I think I might try the Michelin's that Sandy recommended, downside is that I need 4 so thats quite a lot of money! :wacko:

thank god I can get them direct and fit them myself...

Sandy

It helps! I pay £55 a corner for the PE2s, which doesn't seem bad to me for the performance and longevity. They do grip well and last well, you get what you pay for with tyres, pretty much all the time.

welshpug

yeah I was thinking they'd be that kinda price, I've seen retail of £65 a corner for the size I want (i.e the right size for an Mi, of the 405 variety) so I've a vauge idea of what I'll be paying...

I've only done 6 k in it in 2 years so they should last bloody ages!

James_m

IMO i dont rate f1's. average in the dry, and not that great in the wet either. I have 2 F1's and 2 Exalto 2's (185)

The F1's are noticebly poorer, giving either oversteer on understeer balance depending on what end of the car they are attached to wet or dry.

Think im going to try parada's next.

Sign in to follow this