• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest gt6jim

Buzzing Tachymetric Relay

Guest gt6jim

When I try to start my GTi the starter turns the engine brilliantly, but the tachymetric relay just buzzes really loudly,(Like a wasp!), and the engine won't catch.

I know the Tachy Relay controls the fuel pump, so I guess the engine is not being fueled.

Today I also replaced the Earth leads to the G'box and wing, and the positive leads to the starter and positive block on the slam panel.

The only thing I can think is I use 150amp battery cable to connect to the positive block terminal, might that be too high a resistance? I don't think its the cause.

Any help please, as I need it to get to work! :)

Cheers, Jim

vern

Are you sure you replaced the wires from the same places, as it sounds like you have got a supply wrong somewhere.

As if you have a supply passing through the relay contacts, it causes the relay to energise, which closes the contacts, which takes power off relay, the contact then open allowing the supply back onto relay, etc etc, this cycling happens very fast hence creating the buzzing sound.

Or your relay could be knackered, but as you have changed some wiring and it was working previously then the relay is probably fine.

Guest gt6jim
Are you sure you replaced the wires from the same places, as it sounds like you have got a supply wrong somewhere.

As if you have a supply passing through the relay contacts, it causes the relay to energise, which closes the contacts, which takes power off relay, the contact then open allowing the supply back onto relay, etc etc, this cycling happens very fast hence creating the buzzing sound.

Or your relay could be knackered, but as you have changed some wiring and it was working previously then the relay is probably fine.

The relay looks very new, and was fine before.

The earths are deffo right, and the starter cable is obvious.

The other cable I swapped is the one from battery +Ve to the power supply block, the outer of the two terminals.

I used battery cable, should I have used thinner wire?

Do both of the bolt-on terminals on the positive supply block need to be connected to the battery? (They weren't before!)

Guest gt6jim

I've swapped the battery cable from +ve battery terminal to +ve control block, for a pair of 50Amp wires from each control block terminal to the battery, but still nothing.

Before I swapped them it did briefly start ok, but then went again.

Is there something else between the feed to the tachy relay which could be shorting and giving trouble?

I've heard a brown multiplug mentioned in these situations, whats this and where is it? (Is it just under the thermostat housing?)

How can it affect things?

HELP!

Jim

Guest gt6jim

I've found a brown multiplug just under the Thermostat.

The terminals are very green and corroded, could this be to blame for non-starting and tachy buzzing??

What options do I have? Hardwire the connectors together?

Guest gt6jim

Found it, corroded earth to gearbox!

Replaced it and it runs a treat!

Darn french electrics!

Sign in to follow this