• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
josh1990

Torsion Bar

josh1990

I started to lower the back of my rallye today, dropped the passenger side doddle lowerd it 35mm, i then attempted to lower the drivers side, but couldnt get the torsion bar out! what an a*se! :D

I was using threaded rod to draw the bar out but the nut kept buggerin up so what can i do next, i dont fancy taking the beam all the way off (bleeding brakes)

Any other ways you guys have found works let me know.

Cheers Josh

Ma search dint help :)

pug_ham

Did you lower it by the spline method or with both ends of the torsion bar free from the radius arm & tube?

YoU don't need to remove the arm very far to turn it by one spline so there should be enough slack in the brake line to pull the arm out of the tube enough to turn it one spline down without disconnecting anything.

Other than that you'll need a slide hammer to get it free or strip the whole beam.

Graham.

welshpug

it is possible to remove the beam without disturbing the hydraulic circuits, but it still involves removing the drums.

Dj_mini

You could try putting two nuts on your pulling rod this some times helps give that bit extra. Or wind in the end float on the stud on the other end of the tb then wind in a bolt to the other end with a few nutts on so its solid nuts from bolt head to tb then beat this in with a hammer this will get the bar moving all be it in the wrong direction then once its moved a bit go back to your orignal method to remove the bar completley.

Hope this helps.

josh1990

Thanks for the help people, have another go tommorow, reasses my ways of doin it.

Cheers Any mor help apreciated.

Josh :)

josh1990

Got it Done today with a bit of help from nearly everyone down the street, and Pug torque lol, lowerd the car 40mm will get some pictures up later,

Thanks

Josh

dodsworth_gti

glad to here its sorted mate :lol:

knew the arb would have to come off :rolleyes:

gimmie a pm about that arb if you want?

josh1990
glad to here its sorted mate :)

knew the arb would have to come off :lol:

gimmie a pm about that arb if you want?

Yeah Massive relief, thought id have to raise other side lol,

sure did, yeah i'll tek the ARB mate,

Cheers Josh

DaveW

Good to hear its done now. did you fit any upgrades?

josh1990

Yeah newish Gti shocks got put on today, my others were hammerd lol, all seized.

Just need that bigger ARB then the back end is done :lol:

newshox.jpg

Cheers Josh

engelbert

Hello just a question for ya, is yer rallye standard other than gti shocks and lowering? ie no gti rear beam or arb? if yes how does it handle?? i want to do shocks and lowering on mine but tight budget so doing it myself so don't want to get into the rear beam etc yet, so would be nice to here yer opinion of it :rolleyes: cheers Leon.

pug_ham

If your beam is the same spec as Josh's, replace the spindle thin (14mm) rear anti roll bar with a GTi one (19mm) that'll make a major difference to how it feels on the road imo.

Graham.

josh1990

Yea its not too bad really, can do it for nowt but i replaced rear shocks, supposed to be £20 but chrisG give me em for nowt, :(

It wasnt so bad,

As long as you sort of no what to do, which i did'nt lol :lol:

Keep us updated on how you get on!

Josh

Rupes

How do you replace the rear ARB, I want to upgrade my Rallye too but the Haynes manual doesn't even say there is one?

Cheers...

Rupes

Woah, just found the rear beam refurb guide. Maybe I'll leave it until I've got a spare year.

kanyeost

I think you can do the ARB pretty easily with the beam still on the car provided:

1. You have the right sized bolts: one to remove the ARB end plate so you can withdraw the ARB from the car and a second thinner bolt & big washers to help pull the new ARB back into the end plate when refitting. (i'm sure someone will know the exact bolt sizes if they aren't in the guide).

2. The thread in the end of the new ARB is ok, if not get it re-cut before starting so that you can easily insert the second bolt when refitting (see pic 41 of the beam refurb guide).

You might also have to dig the plastic end cap out before you get started if it's stuck. I find hammering torx sockets in ever increasing sizes into it and undoing does the job eventually, just be careful of the thread. It's all pretty straightforward really, I've done it a couple of times and know nothing. Well worth it too when combined with GTI rear dampers and struts up front.

Attack one down your local scrappy for a test run first if you can be bothered but I'd just get stuck in.

Edited by kanyeost

pug_ham

Swapping the rear arb can be done in about an hour, all you need is a spare Bendix front caliper mounting bolt (M12 x 1.5) (easy to find on 205's at a scrapyard), a couple of M8 bolts & a decent socket set.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this