• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

How Many Crush Washers Should You Get With A New Fuel Filter?

GLPoomobile

When buying a new fuel filter should it come with 4 washers, 2 for each end, or just 2 washers?

Baz

4 is what i was going to say but now you've got me thinking...

Ethos
4 is what i was going to say but now you've got me thinking...

4, two for each end that go either side of the "banjo".

GLPoomobile

f***ing GSF again! I've only got one for each end on the new filter.

I can't be bothered to go back. Does anyone know where you can but the washers on their own?

pug_ham

As said, there should be four. Two for each top & bottom banjo unions.

I think the only place to get them if they don't come with the new filter is Pug.

I know when I needed some I had to go to Pug for them.

Graham.

GLPoomobile
As said, there should be four. Two for each top & bottom banjo unions.

I think the only place to get them if they don't come with the new filter is Pug.

I know when I needed some I had to go to Pug for them.

Graham.

Marvellous :) I think there was a topic yonks ago and someone mentioned they had a GSF filter with only 2 washers, so I'll see if I can hunt it out.

Was going to call Pug but they are closed from 1200 on a Sat.

Gonna do some googling too as surely there must be fuel line companies etc who do these washers. Seems ridiculous that you can only get them from Pug or with a new filter (or not if you get it from GSF :D ). I suppose another option would be Halfords - open up a box and 'liberate' some :)

Alan_M

I decided that the banjo filter was s*ite and replaced it with a 200sx item from Halfords along with some jubilee clips. Much smaller than the OE item and easier to change too.

Kept getting leaks on mine, and after it soaked my engine in fuel (lucky it did'nt boom!) I decided it was time to bin it :)

James_m

Or you could try the trick of heating up the old washers over the gas. I did this when i swapped my fuel lines over and it worked fine. *touch wood*

hengti

i've had leakage problems with the GSF supplied washers which i didn't with the genuine Peugeot items i ended up using instead - the Pug ones are a smaller O/D, which seems to help with sealing

could try motorfactors tomorrow morning - some might stock copper washers

it's a good idea to make sure that the faces of the banjo are true as well by sanding them on a sheet of wet & dry

Edited by hengti

number2301

I managed to get those washers from Halfords when I changed my fuel filter, expensive mind, something silly like a quid each.

welshpug

we've got a box at work of assorted copper washers, crushable and solid ones, I know its not easy but see if you can get hold of a guy that sells tools and consumables from a van as they usually carry stuff like this.

and would you believe it the Lauterette Meccafilter I bought last year from GSF but didnt fit only has 2 copper washers!!! :) (they're solid not crushable BTW, banjos dont use crushable, only sump plugs use crushable washers)

Miles

The last few Fuel Filter's I;ve had have had no washers at all, The heating trick works a treat or just get some as said from halfords as they are pretty universal thing

petesy71

i heated the washers as miles and james m stated above. did this about a year ago and havent had any probs, did it with the sump washer too.

Guest gt6jim

Just got a Fram one from a local MF, had 4 copper washers in.

The 'Meccafiltre' one from GSF is going back!

GLPoomobile

Pardon my earlier ignorance by calling them 'crush washers'. I was just recycling a term that had been used in other posts about these things!

I'm going to get a genuine pug filter and take mine back to GSF as well.

Out of interest, what's this method about heating them up? What do you do specifically (apart from heating them up :wacko: )?

petesy71
Out of interest, what's this method about heating them up? What do you do specifically (apart from heating them up :wacko: )?

its called annealing. you heat the copper with a blow torch until red hot and then plunge it in water. this returns the pliable properties of the metal making it reusable, cheers, pete.

Rob_the_Sparky

I'd be tempted to use Alan's solution though, the Pug way of connecting is awful...

Sign in to follow this