• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Running New Fuel Pipe's And Fitting Fuel Swirl Pot

Spiky

ok, the fuel pipes on the std pump are "push on" (correct?)

and i'm going to fit a swirl pot behind the drivers seat,

basically, i need to know what size fittings i will need and where i can purchse the fuel pipe from,

also what type of pipe do i need???

rubber with stainless steel over braid???

or

teflon lined with stainless steel over braid???

i DONT want it to smell of fuel in the car either

also

should i run push on fittings on the swirl pot or are screw type fittings needed??? (though i guess either will do?)

brumster
ok, the fuel pipes on the std pump are "push on" (correct?)

Yup (certainly are on my 1.9)

and i'm going to fit a swirl pot behind the drivers seat,

Same here :blush:

basically, i need to know what size fittings i will need and where i can purchase the fuel pipe from,

Well, that largely depends upon the swirl pot. Some are push-on fittings (typically 8mm with probably one or two 10mm), some more expensive ones are screw-fit (probably NPT or JIC). Basically, just get whatever matches the pot and the pumps - low pressure and high pressure.

also what type of pipe do i need???

rubber with stainless steel over braid???

or

teflon lined with stainless steel over braid???

Is it a competition vehicle? Obviously you don't *need* overbraid but if you want it for safety/flashness then fair enough. As long as it's fuel hose (Goodrich 200 series as an example).

i DONT want it to smell of fuel in the car either

Provided you don't vent anything inside and seal everything up, there's no reason why it should to be honest as it's a sealed system.

should i run push on fittings on the swirl pot or are screw type fittings needed??? (though i guess either will do?)

I'd just go for push-on; that's what I've done. Like you say, either will do, although obviously the screw fittings are more secure.

Edited by brumster

Spiky

ok will stick to push on fittings

i have both types of siwrl pot, so will just go for the push fitting type,

it's not a comptetion car, just a track day day :blush:

just need to rip mine apart i guess to see the pipe I/D size :lol:

brumster

You might want to get some of the Goodrich-style JIC bulkhead fittings (-6) to pass through the bulkhead (plus any catch-tank if you're putting one in, but it sounds not). Only problem is they are extortionate at £26+ each :blush:

Merlin Motorsport have a good selection, as do Demon Thieves of course. Personally I use AAT.

Edited by brumster

Spiky
You might want to get some of the Goodrich-style JIC bulkhead fittings (-6) to pass through the bulkhead (plus any catch-tank if you're putting one in, but it sounds not). Only problem is they are extortionate at £26+ each :blush:

ah thats aquestion i forgot to ask, whether or not i should put these in, or drill a hole with a put pipe through with rubber fittings, but i guess due to it being fuel, thats probably not a good idea

are those fittings push on too? or screw?

back to pipe

will the rubber with stainless steel, be fine?

or do i need teflon (ptfe) lined pipe like the OE pipes?????

brumster
ah thats aquestion i forgot to ask, whether or not i should put these in, or drill a hole with a put pipe through with rubber fittings, but i guess due to it being fuel, thats probably not a good idea

are those fittings push on too? or screw?

back to pipe

will the rubber with stainless steel, be fine?

or do i need teflon (ptfe) lined pipe like the OE pipes?????

No, they're screw-on JIC fittings, so you would need the appropriate ends on the pipe too. JIC is measured in dash sizes, with the number being multiples of 1/16th of an inch. So JIC-6 is for 6/16ths (3/8ths to you and me) pipe.

EDIT: Just to add to the confusion, most of the Facet-type pumps have NPT fittings on them (probably 1/8th) so you need either some screw-in adapters to turn them into push-fit, or a screw-in adapter to go from NPT to JIC. Standards; aren't they great :blush:

Not entirely sure what you mean on the pipe - you certainly can't use just any old rubber pipe as the fuel will degrade it. However provided it's been cleared for fuel use it will be fine (maybe that means teflon lined; I'm not sure).

Edited by brumster

Jrod
Note: Not to be used for fuel use inside a cockpit.

Why? :blush:

Spiky

is that a cockpit of a car or plane??? ...:blush:

brumster

200 series is the most common, yes, and you can use the screw-type fittings or the clamp-style finishers so for the fuel rail you can just use the clamp-style finishers around the push-on fittings of the standard fuel rail (clamp around the rubber part of the hose, though, and the braid is trimmed back and just 'finished' neatly so it doesn't spike unwary fiddlers!).

I too am not sure about the comment on use inside a cockpit... :blush: the idea of using flexible hose rather than solid is that, in a crunch, it does indeed *flex* and not bend/rupture... and the braiding adds some protection from rubbing/splitting too? Go figure...

Spiky
200 series is the most common, yes, and you can use the screw-type fittings or the clamp-style finishers so for the fuel rail you can just use the clamp-style finishers around the push-on fittings of the standard fuel rail (clamp around the rubber part of the hose, though, and the braid is trimmed back and just 'finished' neatly so it doesn't spike unwary fiddlers!).

regarding this, you mean these i assume

t0000000107.gif

I too am not sure about the comment on use inside a cockpit... :blush: the idea of using flexible hose rather than solid is that, in a crunch, it does indeed *flex* and not bend/rupture... and the braiding adds some protection from rubbing/splitting too? Go figure...

i'm using it, and i am running it inside the car,

time to start spending i think :lol:

Sign in to follow this