• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

J Reg 1.6 Head On A 1.9 Engine?

joni

I have just bought a 1.6 gti 205 J reg first reg'd 24/04/92 - not sure if this would have a cat? Have asked q in technical forum.

The previous owner suggested that the 1.6 head works well on a 1.9 short engine for some reason - presumably compression ratio or something?

Is this a myth or fact? I have a 1.9 engine (130bhp pre cat) so i could make this change if its worth while plus i know the head on my 1.9 engine is a bit worse for wear (oil seals knackered and possibly guides worn) so it would make sense to use the good 1.6 gti head if its a worthwhile swap.

Ryan

The heads are exactly the same on both. Only the cam is different. (the very early 1.6 is different, but being a 92 it won't be one of those).

joni
The heads are exactly the same on both. Only the cam is different. (the very early 1.6 is different, but being a 92 it won't be one of those).

I think the bloke was saying put the 1.6 complete head (including cam) on the 1.9 block. Would that be a good/bad combo?

by very early do you mean the 105bhp 1.6?

richsmells

Yeah, the early 1.6 heads had smaller valves hence the lower power output. The later heads are exactly the same on the 1.6 and 1.9 except the for the cam. It would probably be best to fit the 1.9 cam so the Jetronic system stays happy although i'm sure someone with actual experience of this setup will comment. If the head's had a skim then the compression ratio may be increased slightly, other than that, the heads are exactly the same.

Edited by richsmells

Arahan

This is exactly what mine is at the mo, 1.9 bottom end with a late 1.6 head inc cam. As said, the Jetronic system doesn't like it much, its lumpy low down, but the car goes well!

pug_ham

The 1.6 GTi was never sold with a cat.

They strangled the engine to much so Peugeot stopped making it instead.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this