• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bam

Wich Cams Would Fit Xu10j4r Head?

Bam

hi,

i need some info's, wich cams would fit the 2.0 16v 132hp xu10j4 engine?

mi16 one don't think so -the xu10 head is clean, not like the xu9j4 head.

whats about s16 phase I cams?

the stock gti-6 inlet cam for wich bhp is it good for? think about 175~180hp?

or any other ideas?

regards

Edited by Bam

petert

The GTi6 (XU10J4RS) cams will fit the XU10J4R head. The S16 cams (XU10J4) are almost identical to Mi16 (XU9J4). The GTi6 inlet cam is smaller than the Mi16 inlet cam, but not as small as the XU10J4R inlet cam, which is VERY mild.

Bam

hi,

hm.... ok thanks mate.

does anybody have the techspec from the stock gti-6 cam?

lift(@tdc),duration etc?

cheers

Bam

found this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[xu10j4]

278° || max lift: 9.15mm || spread angle: 112° || 1/45° || lift @ tdc1.10mm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[xu10j4rs]

267° || max lift: 10.95mm || spread angle: 110° || 4/44° || lift@tdc 1.50mm

agreements?

what is the max possible lift to fit into xu10j4r head?

cheers

Sandy

No, that's not right, the RS cams timing at 1mm is:

Inlet -9*5' to 39*, and lift at TDC is about 0.8mm

Exhaust 43*5' to -3*5', and lift at TDC is about 0.9mm

Advancing the inlet cam to 1.2-1.5mm at TDC on bodies makes a much nicer noise and makes it feel keener, but I haven't measured the power difference.

If you're ordering cams for the later XU7 and XU10 regular heads ( ie the ones with split cam covers), ask for GTi6 cams and both cams to be on inlet blanks, so the exhaust cam doesn't have the GTi6's oil feed for the servo pump.

petert

Although bigger than the XU10J4 cam, the GTi6 inlet isn't as big as the 1.9L Mi16 cam. To make a valid comparison you need to look at the 1mm lift, or 0.050" lift duration figures. I don't have the numbers at my finger tips, but they go something like this:

duration in degrees @ 0.050"

XU10J4 - 196

XU10J4RS - 213

XU9J4 - 219

My Stage I - 226

My Stage II - 236

This becomes apparent when you try to fit the Stage II profile on the GTi6 lobe. There just isn't enough material to successfully grind it. Yet both the Stage I and II fit comfortably on the Mi16 lobe.

Bam

hi,

thanks for reply's.

i have those infos from cantcams.

@sandy

>If you're ordering cams for the later XU7 and XU10 regular heads ( ie the ones with split cam covers), ask for GTi6 cams and both cams >to be on inlet blanks, so the exhaust cam doesn't have the GTi6's oil feed for the servo pump.

i'm not sure to understand 100% right. my english is not so good :)

so you suggest me, to buy 2 gti-6 inlet cams and fit one @ inlet and one @ exhaust?

i drive a 2.0 16v 132hp 406. i doesn't have a servopump there. (unsure yet, have take a look)

@petert

i've read a lot of a person called "petert" and grind camshaft -are you that guy? :D

do you have some more info's or a website about your "stages"?

duration in degrees says nothing, i also need infos about spread,max lift and lift@tdc.

i have also mi16 cams here, but wouldnt fit.(servo pump)

if i would grind the cam... so i need mechanical reconciliation-> noise, or how its working?

cheers

Sandy

I mean having both the inlet and exhaust cams (which may well be different profiles), both ground on inlet blanks.

Bam

@petert

i've found your website, so i have found what i need. :)

nice vid @ youtube (lifters).

regards

petert
duration in degrees says nothing, i also need infos about spread,max lift and lift@tdc.

Duration @ 0.050", and to a lesser extent at 1mm, is the best way of comparing profiles. All the opening ramps are taken up and the valve is starting to move off it's seat with meaningful flow. Comparing advertised duration, or duration say at 0.004" lift, is somewhat meaningless. Maximum lift is also really not much of an issue on Mi16 and GTi6 heads as they flow so much anyway. When used with the duration at 0.050" the lift at TDC will give you a could indication what type of profile you're dealing with.

Bam

>lift at TDC will give you a could indication what type of profile you're dealing with

my technical english is not so good to "debate" with you. :ph34r:

but i learn gladly in addition.

i know, that a valve raising graph(?!) would be better -but they dont exists of each cam/tuner (catcams,kentcams,dbilas, etc.)

so -you are right- max lift,lift @ tdc is a could indication for me. (i have some experience with that stuff. i've began with an 1.4 TU engine @ 102hp,gti@142hp,mi16@ 196hp,turbo etc). more is possible, but not TUV'able.(germany)

and... if i know the variables:

piping,(airflowmeter?),throttlebody/diameter,inletduct length etc,valvesize(s),valveseats (angle),steemdiameter etc,mbar, so it is possible to calculate the flow @ rpm.

don't forget.. i'm a homeuser, i doesnt have any calculating software (for calculating the "perfect" cam) for camshafts!

the perfect cam also doesn't exist's anyway.its just possible to give a lot of power or(!) drivebillity.if i'm now abond of one of those thing's its possible to get a other way, maybe more power. (variable valvetiming excluded).

btw: has anybody flowed the gti-6 head vs xu10j4r head?

Sign in to follow this