• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest si-gti

Coolant Temperature

Guest si-gti

Where should my coolant temperature be when the car has warmed up, it seems to sit around 3/4 of the way on the clock is this normal?

pug_ham

Thats sounds a bit high but different senders will make it sit in a different place.

Are your clocks standard or have they been apart for white dials etc?

Picture attached shows roughly normal operating temp indications.

Graham.

post-71-1193181924_thumb.jpg

damien

my oil temp sits at the 2nd notch and water/engine temp at the 3rd notch (one notch down from what yours are showing), is this too cold for normal running?

ive always been meaning to ask just never got round to taking a pic

CaptainK
Picture attached shows roughly normal operating temp indications.

Graham.

I wish my oil pressure gauge would sit there. Mine barely goes past the 2nd line when warmed up.

My coolant temperature sits between the line indicated in the picture and the next line up from it. Mine switches off the fan at the temperature indicated and switches it back on at the next line. Thus my temperature sits between these two lines.

Guest si-gti

Mine sits at the bar after the one in the pic

Dan Ingram

Mines one past the pic aswell. Aslong as it never gets past that it shouldnt be a problem.

damien

here is mine after 30mins of driving about.

im just abit worryed that the oil/engine temp is abit low

post-4891-1193330606_thumb.jpg

CaptainK

Again, I wish my oil pressure was that good at that RPM. At that RPM after 30 mins my oil pressure is right on the line that starts the red zone.

Maybe your temperature sensor for the gauge is duff? Does the engine still kick the fans in when you leave it to idle for 5 mins (when its already up to operating temperature) ?

I was worried about the oil temp as well, but another forum member told me its normal as the first few lines on the gauge are something likt 40 degrees, then 60 degrees, which is about right. So don't expect it to move much I guess.

miamistu
Again, I wish my oil pressure was that good at that RPM. At that RPM after 30 mins my oil pressure is right on the line that starts the red zone.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it - the gauges can be a poor indication of how much pressure you have. Mine barely moves out of the red on my dash, but a mechanical gauge tells me I've got excellent pressure :blush:

CaptainK
I wouldn't lose sleep over it - the gauges can be a poor indication of how much pressure you have. Mine barely moves out of the red on my dash, but a mechanical gauge tells me I've got excellent pressure :)

Mine flickers at me whilst at operating temp idle - AND so does the STOP light. B)

miamistu
Mine flickers at me whilst at operating temp idle - AND so does the STOP light. B)

Oh dear, not so good then! :)

damien
Maybe your temperature sensor for the gauge is duff? Does the engine still kick the fans in when you leave it to idle for 5 mins (when its already up to operating temperature) ?

dont know, i never sit there and let it idle, i drive straght off but keep the rpm down and i do alot of night driving so i dont meet much in the way of traffic jams.

pug_ham

im just abit worryed that the oil/engine temp is abit low

That looks a bit low after 30 mins driving imo, has your car got a thermostat fitted?

Try shorting the guage wire to the block & see where your gauge goes to, it should move full scale, also where does it sit when switched on but cold?

Graham.

damien
also where does it sit when switched on but cold?

Graham.

i'll sort out a pic tonight when i go to work

Daxed

Can't believe so many people have operational oil temp gauges. I haven't had a single 205 yet where the wire is still connected.

Still, at least my coin tray works I suppose.

damien

when the fans kick in.

you can see that the engine/water temp is working but the oil temp seems to be abit on the slow side. it does move but only a small amount

post-4891-1193553510_thumb.jpg

Dan Ingram
when the fans kick in.

you can see that the engine/water temp is working but the oil temp seems to be abit on the slow side. it does move but only a small amount

Nowt wrong with that. The only time I can get the oil temp up is either flat out down the motorway for a bit or on track, otherwise it just stays at the same temp as yours.

damien

i was worryed that it was too low but if im not the only one there isnt much to worry about

Super Josh

Just for reference, the first line on both the Oil and Water temp. gauges is 50 degrees C. The Water gauge goes up in 10 degree increments, whereas the Oil gauge goes up in 20 degree increments (so 50, 70, 90, 110 etc.).

Josh

pug_ham

The water temp indication still looks a bit low imo when the fan cuts in.

Mine is usually the otherside of the thick white line above the needle in your picture.

I have an 82' thermostat fitted yet the water & ol temps are higher than yours after 20minutes driving without much traffic.

Does your car suffer badly from mayo? If not I wouldn't worry to much, the guages are hardly the most accurate part of a 205. :rolleyes:

Graham.

damien
The water temp indication still looks a bit low imo when the fan cuts in.

Mine is usually the otherside of the thick white line above the needle in your picture.

I have an 82' thermostat fitted yet the water & ol temps are higher than yours after 20minutes driving without much traffic.

Does your car suffer badly from mayo? If not I wouldn't worry to much, the guages are hardly the most accurate part of a 205. :)

Graham.

there is a little bit of mayo but nothing i would worry about at the moment, she still drive 100% fine (apart from the normal lumpy idle)

C_W

I think it's only best to use the gauges as a reference point, and just use any deviation from "normal" positions when something's up.

On mine the oil temperature takes a while to come up and in winter it sometimes doesn't really move a lot off the first bar if driven steadily, only rising properly if it's on the motorway for long periods.

It used to sit just above the 3rd bar for water temperature (I know have part BX clocks where it sits dead in the middle which I much prefer).

Oil pressure would be at the end of the scale (with an "uprated" relief spring) when cold but runs at about the same as Graham's above over 2500rpm, but when hot at idle it will drop to 1st mark.

The fuel gauge varies from full to empty depending on use :)

pete1986

My oil temp used to be the same as this, but about a month ago it started rising up to the next mark. What could be causing this?

sutol

If the rad isn't over hot and the heater doesn't burn your fingers then it should be ok.

I have an infra red temp thingy which is great for things like coolant and brakes, we tend to put our trust in gauges a little too much at times.

try flushing the rad out if you are unsure and check that the thermostat isn't stuck.

Edited by sutol

Sign in to follow this