• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Expected Cambelt Cost

Ethos

Again, sorry for this thread i'm sure its been covered loads of times...

What should I expect to pay for a cambelt change on the 205? Just rang pug and they quoted £226....

Baz

Can vary lots depending on where you go, i wouldn't go to a Pug Stealer though! Find a reputable mechanic locally, and have the water pump and tensionners done at the same time.

Ethos
Can vary lots depending on where you go, i wouldn't go to a Pug Stealer though! Find a reputable mechanic locally, and have the water pump and tensionners done at the same time.

On a bit of a budget really so was just going to get the belt done, guessing the rest will add a fair amount on.

Will ring around the local boys a bit later and get a price then.

Anthony

Odd, as Peugeot used to do them for about £100 (plus VAT I think) not so long back.

8v cambelts are easy enough, and any competant mechanic should be able to do it if you don't feel upto the job yourself.

nick

As Anthony says, it should be on the fixed price menu for £109 +vat.

Try another dealer.

Nick

Ethos
As Anthony says, it should be on the fixed price menu for £109 +vat.

Try another dealer.

Nick

Just rang another, £150 fitted but thats JUST the cam belt.

Will ring another if I can find one...

Miles

Any Garage will do these as all the 8v XU petrol engine's use the same basic layout upto the 306 so it's not GTI specfic, Should take 2 > 3 hr's start to finish but at £30 + per hr you can see why the cost soon creaps up

welshpug

3 hours (ish, I cant remember the book time) labour @ circa £30 (I believe dealers charge a fair bit more though...) and a belt kit @ £51.20, and a water pump @ £59.70 is £200.90 plus vat

so a total of £236.06 for a dealer to do the whole lot.

from GSF, the water pump would be £17.50, GSF dont do a belt kit, a belt is £8.50, idler £29.00 and tensioner £24.50, a total of £79.50 plus vat (£93.41).

I would charge something similar to what a dealer charges in reality, but without the vat of course :D

Ethos
3 hours (ish, I cant remember the book time) labour @ circa £30 (I believe dealers charge a fair bit more though...) and a belt kit @ £51.20, and a water pump @ £59.70 is £200.90 plus vat

so a total of £236.06 for a dealer to do the whole lot.

from GSF, the water pump would be £17.50, GSF dont do a belt kit, a belt is £8.50, idler £29.00 and tensioner £24.50, a total of £79.50 plus vat (£93.41).

I would charge something similar to what a dealer charges in reality, but without the vat of course :D

Fair play then, guess it's not a bad price.

Just wonder if it's worth doing... trying to keep the car as cheap as possible.

Giving it a full service on Wednesday, just knowing my luck i'll get my girlfriend to spend all of this money and the head gasket will go or something (129k on the clock)!!

welshpug

mileage has no odds on how long the head gasket will last, its down to the quality of the coolant :(

and yes it is worth doing, unless you like rebuilding engines with bent valves of course :P:D

Sign in to follow this